Booking process problems

Clifford10
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

Booking process problems

Recently I've been having two issues with guests booking. I have a Instant-book, single private room that I listed for up to 4 people.

1. Guests booking for 1 and showing up with more. I charge extra for extra guests.
  2. Guests  complaining that they didn't realize that I lived in the home as well.

With most guests it's not an issue as they clearly state that they're coming with mutliple people and I clear it up at booking time however the second issue is usually the more significant as the guests & I don't realize the issue until they arrive. Usually when I book I'm specific about how many people and what type of space I want  but I checked recently and it is indeed possible (especially on the phone app) to book a space and not have to specify or acknowledge the number of persons (the app defaults to 1 person) or the type of space. The booking process needs to be changed so that the prospective guest needs to positively specify the number people coming and select the type of space they feel comfortable with.

1 Reply 1
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Clifford10

Clearly you a doing everything right as you have great reviews.

I think it's clear from your details that you live on site - of course some people just don't read. In the automoated (or non-automated) message that you send when a booking is confirmed, put something in along the lines of: Thank you for booking and I look forward to welcoming you into my home.

Follow up messages can end with: I will be here during your stay so can help you with any other questions.

As for the extra guests - we get this sometimes and I put it down to the AirBnB's default which is 1 (ie you don't actually have to make a choice, it does it for you).  We always reply to the initial booking with an email saying something like.

Thanks for your booking and to confirm you have booked 1 room for 1 person from xx date.

Please note: if you decide to bring an additional person please let me know so that I can adjust the nightly rate.

Even then you are bound to get someone who is oblivous to all signs, signals and words!

Good luck