Boston Hosts - It's Jan 1

Kathy101
Level 3
Houston, TX

Boston Hosts - It's Jan 1

Happy New Year to my fellow Boston hosts.

What now for the new regulations?  The stay is in effect for now, so no enforcement.  I think there's a sunset time (until September) - so does that mean we have some time to register?  Have you sent letters out? 

And then there's the general Massachusetts legislation. 

Sigh.  I hate that now I AirBnB is becoming so stressful.  Thoughts?

7 Replies 7

I received an email from the city of Boston on 12/19 containing detailed directions for registering. It reads as though there is no "stay" in effect, although enforcement and deadlines are not spelled out. I am specifically unclear as to the meaning of the "owner adjacent unit" specifics.

Look forward to hearing from other hosts.
Best

Mary Carney

Carolyn31
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

It is my understanding that the delay of parts of the regulation is only until March 1 and that there are significant parts of the new regulations that are not delayed. 

What is not delayed:

"The new rules also ban short-term rentals by owners who don’t live in the properties they rent out, as well as by renters. The law requires short-term rental hosts to register with the city every year and to pay annual fees of $25 to rent out a room and $200 to rent out an entire unit. Those rules will still be enforced beginning January 1." This quote is from an article on Alvara (https://www.avalara.com/mylodgetax/en/blog/2018/11/boston-to-delay-short-term-rental-rules-while-air...)

There is an interesting WGBH audio clip with multiple lawyers arguing the merits of the case: https://www.wgbh.org/news/news/2018/12/31/in-suing-boston-airbnb-argues-its-not-responsible-for-ille....

A bunch of Massachusetts hosts have joined a Google group to more easily share information on the Massachusetts regulations and to connect with other hosts from each of our local communities. If you'd like to join, you can do so via: 

airbnb-hosts+subscribe@googlegroups.com

You will need to provide your name and Massachusetts AirBnb listing number in order to join. 

Carolyn (Cambridge)

Carolyn31
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

By the way, I don't think the blurb in the Avalara article about hosts having to collect the taxes instead of Airbnb is correct. I think that is Avalara trying to drum up business. 

The entity that collects the rental fees is responsible for collecting and remitting the taxes and this does not impact bookings initiated prior to January 1 or bookings for dates prior to July 1, 2019. 

Michael2413
Level 3
North Andover, MA

I am under the impression that we "must" register starting Jan 1 but we have until September until we would have to be fully registered and in compliance. 

Charlene122
Level 1
Boston, MA

Interested in the google group, but what is the Massachusetts listing number?  So we can only join the group after we register?

Charlene122
Level 1
Boston, MA

Has anyone contacted a lawyer?  I have an addendum on my lease, which is being revoked, mid-lease with 30 days notice.  I need a lawyer... stat!

Joanna29
Level 2
Northampton, MA

I would also like to join the Google group, but I do not understand what the Massachusetts listing number is.