Can you be racist if you know how to write properly?

Max377
Level 2
New York, NY

Can you be racist if you know how to write properly?

I got a cancellation from a guest and they wrote a hatful review. Airbnb said it wasn't violating the Airbnb content policy.

They viewed little black kids playing football in the street as drug dealers. (I live in Miami not Upper East Side of NewYork)

On top of that they wrote a perfect negative description in details of my house without being came inside.

They also added weird comments about my voice. ( I got a surgery and I have to Whisper)

How Airbnb can't look at the previous reviews and tell the difference between a lie and the truth? How can my street and my house switched from a friendly place to a war zone full of dealers in less than 24h?

It also put in light the problem of new policy about reviewing a listing in case of cancelation. By trying to fix something Airbnb broke something else.

Do you feel yourself sometimes being misjudged and badly being backed up by Airbnb?

14 Replies 14
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Max377

Awful - and you posted this as a host you would find your listing disabled. It is a pity you responded the way you did, and I can understand you are angry.

The best response is brief and professional and not get drawn into their world. I can see you have good reviews and her's stands out as downright weird. People will see through it...don't worry.

But it's a great example of where AirBnB has changed from a hosting environment to 'the customer is  always right' 

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 you are right, I should have been more brief!

I put so much effort in hosting, I got carried away!

Yes, thats the sentiment that I have about Airbnb.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

People will see right though her, @Max377. For the price you pay, I think your offering is spot on.  

@Gordon0 Thank you Gordon! Yes people will see through; but its just about principles of being honnest.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That's a shame @Max377

I do understand your angry response.

Also, why does this guest have such an issue with you losing your voice? What difference does that make? I have hosted many guests who do not speak a word of English and I do not speak a word of their language, but somehow we manage to communicate.

People are weird.

@Huma0
People are weird and entilted. If you don't meet the Instagram  perfect picture you get categorised as fast as the speed of the light.

Its very weird that they mentioned it twice in the review. Airbnb can't even see the violation here.

I have guests who left yesterday, they were from brazil and we spoke via google translate. We had so much fun and happy vibes.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Max377

Raafia is doing you a favor. Raise you rates. 

No one should deal with her and you should be compensated for your interaction with her.

The more Raafias out there spreading their venom, mean the fewer hosts there will be!  More money for us 🙂

You response was almost very good. Your claim that she never entered your house was all you needed to state. Talking about racism and handicaps confuse the issue.

@Paul154 I'll raise them for sure! 

I said racism because they are 7y old kids playing dolls and soccer in the street. They def run and scream but they def don't look like dealers. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Max377

I have had a similar issue with my location. Although guests do not often specify anything about it in the review, they mark me down in that category.

I live in an urban, multi-cultural part of London. It's pretty typical of London neighbourhoods actually, but often guests come to the UK expecting us all to be stopping at 4pm for cream tea with the vicar (I am not joking). Some of them seem affronted when confronted with a non-white face. I know this misconception is common from travelling to many countries (including the US), where people tell me, "You can't be from London. You've got brown skin." Again, not joking.

I try to explain on my listing that I live in a multi-cultural, multi-income neighbourhood and that guests shouldn't book if they are uncomfortable with this. Still, many of them don't read any of it.

I had one guest a few months ago who was lovely and complimentary in every other way, but in her review, made my location sound like a ghetto. She mentioned 'dodgy types' of people and made it sound very unsafe. I have lived her for nearly ten years and never encountered any problems, nor have any of my over 400 guests. It's all a matter of perception I think. Some people think dark skin = criminal.

I couldn't agree more!! People don't visualize the true reality of the world. 

Its usually from people with 1 review and newly travellers.

Joke aside, I live in Miami, near the neighbour "little Haiti" what could be expected from that? Scottish people?

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Max377 that woman’s behaviour is deplorable.

I’m a strong believer that you get back what you put out there. People with that much negativity are therefore doing more harm to themselves over a lifetime than in the short encounter you had. I wouldn’t want to spend more than 30 seconds in her company, so thank your lucky stars she left of her own accord!

@Ben551 thank you Ben! Yes she saved me from drama,  but she left a sad feeling about Airbnb mgmt.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Max377, I can understand your frustration - nearly everything she complained about is clearly outlined in your listing and photos. Making judgement calls about people on your street definitely smacks of racism. And complaining about your voice is just weird and completely irrelevant. Hopefully future guests will see this in context of your other excellent reviews. Onwards and upwards!

@Kath9 

I passed that, even if it's always hurting. 

Onwards and upwards! 

Thank you!