Cancellation Refund

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Cancellation Refund

Hi All,

I had a future guest cancel their booking in November which is not a problem. Do Airbnb automatically refund their deposit ($250) to them? I just got an email from Airbnb saying my guest is requesting the amount of $250. When I went into it, the email says that the amount of $250 will be deducted from my future pay-out.

I am more than happy for the guest to receive their deposit back, but I am worried that I am going to give them more back than what they paid.

I hope this makes sense!

4 Replies 4
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Denise80 🙂

The guest never pays a deposit. It is only if something happens and you claim money. Then airbnb will charge the guest. 

It sounds strange that airbnb will ask you about paying back the deposit. When the guest press the cancellation button they are automatically refunded whatever the cancellation says. So you don't have to do a thing. If I were you I would write to airbnb asking them excactly what they mean with deposit. Many guests assume that they pay the deposit but they don't.

Best, Sandra 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Denise80 I just read your message again. The guest probably sent you a request via the airbnb system because they think they have paid the deposit. But they haven't. It is reserved on their card in case something happens and you ask airbnb to claim money. 

Donna519
Level 4
Bali, Indonesia

Hi Denise,

If you have not received any money from this guest, then it is definitely not your responsibility to refund.

Airbnb will do it directly.

Guest can do partial payments to Airbnb, therefore the concept of deposit does exist within their system.

You are also right mentioning this could be the "security deposit" you require with your bookings; in any case if you have not received any funds then you should not refund what you did not receive...

Your cancellation policy also will influence the above.

Happy hosting 🙂

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Thank you for your advice @Donna519  and @Sandra856 . 

I rang Airbnb and the first person I spoke to said I would receive $241 in November (when the guest was due to stay) and I should refund the guest $250 now.  I asked why instead of them paying me and me paying the guest, why didn't they pay the guest directly? And why I do I have to pay Airbnb a service fee (the $9 difference between $250 and $241), she could not answer me.  She put me through to someone higher up the chain. This second person is going to arrange the refund directly with the guest, and I do not have to do anything. She will also email me to confirm this in writing.

Whew, I can get to bed now and not worry! Goodnight 🙂