Cancellation during a reservation

Charmaye0
Level 2
Western Cape, South Africa

Cancellation during a reservation

Hello Air BnB community

I need urgent advice please.

I have a confirmed 30 day reservation which started on 29 December 2017.

My listing clearly states that use of the pool is "by prior arrangement" as I have two large breed dogs.  The dogs do not have access to the cottage, but they have access to the pool.  Prior to confirmation of the reservation the guest sent me the following message "Can we use the area in front of the apartment (where the pool is)?  We like to sit outside and read or have breakfast".  My reply to her was "Yes you may use the area in front of the apartment.  I do have a really big dog so would need to introduce him to you.  There is also an area at the side of the apartment with a nice umbrella under a tree where you can also sit outside.  The dogs never go there."

Three days into the reservation the guest advised that she no longer found the apartment suitable because of the dogs and wishes to cancel.  She has now found alternate accommodation and has requested a full refund of the balance of the days.

I have a strict cancellation policy, and in no way misrepresented the apartment or the use of the pool.  My question is - if she cancels the reservation, will Air BnB give her a 50% refund of the balance of the booking?  Am I obliged to refund her any difference?  (I know good guest relations dictate that I should).  December - February are peak times in Cape Town and if I cannot secure new bookings I am going to be very out of pocket.

Would it be fair and reasonable for me to tell her that I will refund her at the end of her reservation period for days which I am able to secure new bookings?

Your comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy 2018!

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

The guest has to initiate the cancellation and request for a refund as you probably know, @Charmaye0.  Of course you will NOT agree to either and let the guest escalate to Air BNB for a determination.  If Air BNB upholds your cancellation policy, there would be no refund.  If Air BNB determines that there is good reason for the cancellation, believes the guest about the dogs, you will be charged the refund in your next payout.

I also have a strict cancellation for some of my bookings, especially if made for high demand dates, and I always refund if the dates are booked and let the guest know that is my personal policy.  Good luck!!

Charmaye0
Level 2
Western Cape, South Africa

Thank you Linda. Much appreciated. 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Charmaye0 I agree with @Linda108 let the guest initiate the cancellation. You can tell the guest the sooner they do this the  sooner you can relist the property and hopefully get another booking and if you do, you will happily refund them any nights that you manage to sell

Thank you very much. I will definitely be doing that.