Cancelling my FIRST reservation

Mbua0
Level 3
Milwaukee, WI

Cancelling my FIRST reservation

So, I'll be cancelling my very first guest's reservation first thing in the a.m. for a rules violation. Although I considered simply discussing it over, a combination of personal messages she sent, her smoking in the apartment, and non-response to the subsequent notification I sent lead to my realization that this person is too bold!

Firstly, my check-in time is 3PM, and they called the night before requesting an earlier (noon) check-in - which I agreed to. By 11 a.m. that day, they were already outside asking to come in, and I refused as I was still tidying up. It was a girl in her 20's, and her mother who claims to be a nurse in town for  new-hire orientation. After they returned at 1 PM, I let them in, and walked through being as friendly as usual. The mother was quiet engaging, but the daughter (who boooked), seemed impatient with my discussion. So, I let them be and left. 4 hours later, I received the attached text from her......Screenshot_20190108-002943_1.jpg I'm not even joking (see me in the gray). When I forward this to my girlfriend she starts to laugh, but I figure I'd not be harsh and simply swerve the conversation.

Today, after returning from work 1 hour before, I leave my unit to retireve the mail, and I'm immediately met with the smell of tobacco. None of the leasing tenants in my other 2 unit smoke, so I immediately knew it was this party. I subsequently informed AirBnB, and sent her the message below.Screenshot_20190108-004324_1.jpg

Suffice to say, that my first experience hasn't been the best, and I'll be ejecting them tomorrow morning before work. 

22 Replies 22
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Glad to hear you have such a tolerant lady @Mbua0

When you sign up to Airbnb you provide contact information which you agree is shared with your guests once they book just as theirs is shared with you.

It means hosts and guests can keep contact each other in an emergency or where there is no internet connection.

All you had to do was just remind her that all communication is to be kept on airbnb messaging for both guest and host security and that your phone contact is just for emergencies.

@Helen3, good info! It seems I was never attentive to that fact. I'll act your wisdom henceforth. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Mbua0

I am very impressed with your judgement. You did everything right.

People who abuse your home have no right to be in your home.

I'm so pissed these abusers involved the cops - sorry you had to bear that. 

Be patient. You will get good guests - most guests are. You just got a stinker.

@Paul154, thanks for the encouragement. I won't be derailed from my efforts! 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mbua0

I would guess from the slightly bizzare messages that she was either drunk or stoned. 

@Gerry-And-Rashid0, never rule out a combination of the two.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Mbua0

I agree with @Helen3 and @John1080 regarding the text messages. Don’t place yourself in a compromising situation, and keep you responses to the Airbnb message board, or recount the information where possible. 

But I really am writing to congratulate you on your response to the guests retaliatory review. Perfectly professional and on point! You will not have any guest fearing you! 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mbua0 I am sure the compliments were well deserved - Good luck!