Capacity--include couch?

Chris773
Level 7
Branson, MO

Capacity--include couch?

I have a two-bedroom property (a king and a queen). I also have a couch that is sadly not a pull-out sleeper sofa. I don't at all mind if someone sleeps on the couch (and I have extra sheets and blankets to cover the couch in the event someone uses it), but it's of course not a "real" sleeping surface.

Should I keep my listing showing a capacity of 4 people or should I up it to 5 and mention in my listing that a fifth guest can be accommodated on the (non-sleeper) couch? Would that be a good way to potentially attract guests looking to book and who specify 5 people in their search, or would it be too disingenuous on my part?

I have other properties that have proper pull-out sofas and families on a budget really do use them frequently (as my two-bedroom property with a sleeper sofa is cheaper than other three-bedroom properties). My goal is to get as many bookings as I can at the lower price point I provide at this property, and I'm just concerned that listing my maximum capacity as "4 guests" may prevent me from showing in search results for people who would be perfectly happy with my property's price and layout.

3 Replies 3
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Hi @Chris773, I don't think it would be disingenuous at all as long as you make it very clear in your listing that the 5th 'bed' is a couch. Of course, that won't account for those people who don't read the listing properly. However, if you do get a request or booking for 5 people, you could always message them straight away (while they still have the opportunity to cancel for free) and make sure they are happy with the couch.

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Chris773 , I include a standard couch as a sleeping spot as well. I made a special fitted sheet with built in mattress protection for it. It is made very clear that sleeping on the couch requires that special bedding set, non negotiable. So far, the rare extra person has complied and been fine with it. 

Chris773
Level 7
Branson, MO

I've taken your advice and run with it. 🙂 Capacity updated. We'll see how it goes!  Thanks!