Clean Linens

Danny21
Level 5
Manchester, United Kingdom

Clean Linens

Firstly, this is definitely NOT a reflection on my practices.

I recently read an article on a legitimate news website titled 'What Hotels Don't Want You To Know'. It had some shocking entries and some which made me pause for thought.

One in particular was 'Hotels don't use clean linens unless you ask for it'.

Which got me thinking.

Pros:

1. This would certainly cut down the turn-around time tremendously as only evidentally dirty linens/towels would need to be laundered and not the whole lot.

2. By not laundering linens after every guest, this would cut down on laundering costs (at-home or hired).

3. It would cut down on electricity consumption which has a number of other benefits (reduced bills, reduced environmental impact)

Cons:

1. What if a guest has an STI, crabs or lice and the linen gets infected. What would happen if a guest complains? How would this differ from a hotel?

2. Evidentally dirty linens were to be washed but not some, what if the guest complains of 'funny smells' e.g perfume/make-up? (you wouldn't notice the make-up if it was the same/similar colour to the bed sheets)

Anyone any thoughts on the matter please?
Thanks

22 Replies 22
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Danny21

I would not for a second entertain the idea of guests sleeping on the same linens unwashed. God help us, what is the world coming to!!!

I pride myself on the bed. I iron the sheets and pillowcases so guests can see the creases in them. The sheet sets are all 1,000 thread count cotton sateen. Every guest gets newly washed and sanotised pillow protectors. I never expect a guest to put their head on someone elses dribble!

There is something about climbing into a set of crisp satiny ironed sheets that is incomparable! The first time you do it you really feel like.......this is home, this is what a bed should be like.

There is also a self preservation side to this! Nobody, but nobody would ever want to try and pull the 'Bedbug' card on me! There is too much documented evidence that this is just not in any way possible!

In over 140 reviews I have not had one that did not make mention of the bed, either in the review or the private feedback.

My bed sells my listing, would I want to compromise that by skipping on the odd bit of linen laundering.......no way Jose!  

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4: We are the same. High quality sheet sets / pillow cases. Probably takes us 30 minutes just to make the bed correctly.

@Barry-and-Lera0

Yeah, even when I have got the bed made I run the iron over the quilt cover, it's got to look just right...even if it's one nighters, you have to set a standard, but it is worth it...It is sort of a signature piece now.

Apart from all the regular condiments like soap, sampoo, toilet paper, face wipes and all that stuff, this is what every guest gets....The roll of garbage bags is the only ring in there, the roll ran out on the previous guest

IMG20180317111324 b.jpg

In addition they also get a beer and a cider in the fridge and a selection of nuts. And would you believe Lera, I charge $85 AU per night and one guest (although they gave me a 4 star overall) actually gave me a 3 star for value!!!

Good on you Lera and Barry, that's why you are Superhosts, you get it right.

Cheers......Rob

Wow!!! I think I will come and stay @Robin4 Incredible basket of goodies, and value for money! 🙂

That is a pretty impressive basket there Superhost @Robin0. We usually do blueberry muffins and some select fruits. Bananas, oranges, lemon/limes (for drinks by the pool), a few beers and beer drinking snacks. This past Easter we setup an Easter egg hunt for our guests that were filled with candy and lottery tickets.

@Barry & Lera

That isn't how I present what I offer to the guest Lera. It was just to show what I offer. I am at the dodery stage in life where I need to keep myself focused with a checklist, so I have that basket, and as I prepare the listing for the next guest everything goes into that basket for transport out into the cottage, I cross it off my checklist so I know I have not missed anything.

This is how the guest gets to see it when they arrive.....

IMG20170308181344   01.jpg

I rely heavily on my checklist and have done for the past two years. I started after a guest arrived and wished to take a shower, and I had forgoten to turn the cottage hot water service on....cold water! You only make a mistake like that once.

Cheers.....Rob

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Danny21 I really doubt they do not wash them between guests. I think (and I hope!) they mean during maid service. 

I'm reasonably sure they wash the sheets and pillowcases, but I have also read that hotel blankets and bedspreads get washed only a couple times a year.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah977  See I don't go along with that Sarah. I am not criticising those who don't wash quilts and blankets regulary, that is just not for me.

I have 6 sets of linens and quilt sets and the cottage is heated to remain around 22-23c throughout the winter, (we generate and store our own power with wind and solar so cost is not an issue) and although I have two nice cotton blankets I don't routinely make the bed with a blanket, but some guests may want to use one so, it's there. If used, it is always washed after a guest has been, the same as the quilt sets. I have summer weight and winter weight quilts, both are silk which we bought in China on a trip in 2012 and I don't personally like a lot of weight on me when I am in bed and I find, in the main, guests just like to sleep with a top sheet and a realy light quilt they may pull up at some point in the night! A blanket just seems a bit unnecessary in this situation.

When my wife Ade was more mobile we did a lot of travelling and stayed in countless B&B's I soon learned, the bed  is not just a part of any accommodation, it is the heart of it! If you get a great nights sleep you will gloss over a few other imperfections because you feel good. Roll around on a cramped uncomfortable piece of rubbish all night and no matter how good other aspects of the listing may be, you will probably not get a good review.

The bed is where the effort goes.

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4  Oh, I definitely wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't wash the bedding more than a couple times a year, no way. I was just commenting on what I had read about hotel practices. Actually, the first thing I do when I check into a hotel room is remove the seldom-washed bedspread and then go wash my hands. I don't even want to sit on it.

In my case, I have somewhat limited water so can't just throw a load of wash in on a daily basis. So while the sheets and pillowcases get washed between each guest, and changed if a guest stays a week or more, I can really only do the mattress pad, blanket and duvet cover every 3 guests or so. However, I always hang them up in the hot sun and breeze for the full day I leave myself for cleaning between guests.

If I had reason to feel the guest was unclean, I'd definitely wash those things after their stay, but so far pretty much all my guests have been right-before-bed shower people.

It's true, sheets are often changed but not blankets . That's why most have the blankets between 2 sheets. 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Danny21: We have triple backups in towels and linens so we are never doing wash during a changeover. Just makes for a smoother and more efficient pace.

Would we ever leave used linens on a bed? No. Never even crossed our minds.

Tasha20
Level 2
Hayle, United Kingdom

Ughhhh...no clean linens??  That is just out right gross!  I ensure linens are clean between every guest stay...and sometimes change beds that have clearly not been slept in but have had luggage rested on.  I would hope that other hosts think the same!!  You sweat so much, and shed so much skin in bed...would you really like to share someone else's linen after they have slept in it??  Danny...don't be influenced by the hotel way (and I can't believe this is true!!)...clean linens everytime!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Thanks for broaching the subject.  Although I always change the sheets between guests, sometimes I am tempted.

It always suprises my the guests make the bed when they leave.  I often can't tell if they slept under the sheets!

I give 2 pillows per person. If I could guarantee that the guest's head did not touch the other pillow, I would not replace that pillowcase. (but I do).

Hotels always change the linens between guests, but not the quilts and blankets.