Cleaning fee versus cleaning service

Cleaning fee versus cleaning service

Hello,

I have an issue with the wording "cleaning fee" that is often interpreted as "cleaning service" during guest stay. 

and also the financial value of "cleaning" is not the same for all, therefore I find the wording wrong. 

On other platforms, I use the term "maintenance fee" as a one off fee per booking instead, this allows for not just change of sheets and regular cleaning between guest, but replacement of stained/damaged items, and all that needs higher cost.

I wish Airbnb would allow a distinction between cleaning fee and cleaning service and offer both options as add on.

therefore for me, it would make things easier if Airbnb would either use the term maintenance fee or allow the host to write in the term as wished for the one off fee. Plus allow an add on cleaning service fee per day, because this service can be optional.

What are your reflexion and solutions about it? thanks

4 Replies 4
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Geraldine50,  Hello!

This is an interesting question... I'm just going to throw out a philosophy, which may or may not be consistent with the group collective:  When you check into a Hotel, you pay one fee which covers it all.  The only extras you might encounter (aside from room service) would be the mini-bar.  Right?  I absolutely assume that my bed will be completely cleaned and made up EVERY DAY.  Some hotels now--even the high-end ones--ask that if it's okay with you to re-use your bath towells the next day or so, hang them up; if not, leave them on the floor and fresh towells will be supplied, no hard feelings.  

I absolutely expect, in a hotel, that my ENTIRE ROOM will be cleaned every day, unless I put out the 'Do Not Disturb' sign. 

This might just be me, but I would prefer not to itemize everything and just have that be the standard of service.  Feels a bit more professional, and eliminates the potential to argue about what was done/not done.  Set your rate and set your standard, understanding that some guests are going to be golden and others will be more work. 

It really doesn't matter what you call it, you're going to have to do it in every case.  Why not just make it part of your price and eliminate the issue altogether?

Thoughts?

Kim

Thank you for sharing your thoughts @Kimberly54.

I also expect in a hotel to have the full service but guest turning to rental homes are after the freedom it allows. some guest wants no one to get into the house they live in, some others want service every day, others twice weekly etc, and as a host and therefore employer I would rather have within the system the flexibility to chose the level of service and want and can offer and at what cost. therefore my point is not about including service in my price but to have the tick box option to add service or not and clarify that cleaning fee is not just cleaning.

Booking.com, for instance, allows the host to decide on their price structure, which makes it a lot more flexible to me running my business. and that way there is not misleading terms and wordings.

Hi @Geraldine50,

Thanks for clarifying.  Just a thought:  If you offer a sliding rate for variable service, super clear communication would probably be the best tool, but for me, I would exclude this subset.  That's just me. 

I believe you also recognize that the lower the price, the more 'diverse' your clients may be, and that is a slippery slope, no matter what the 'add-on' charges.  Ultimately, selecting the guests is your choice. 

Kim

Sure @Kimberly54, selection is the ultimate goal and thank you for reminding me of this point not to lose sight on.

for the moment I do as you suggest, with detailed communication, but it is insufficient in some part and more specifically with clients that don't speak /understand French or English enough, and often they are also the ones that have expectations that differ to mine for coming from a different culture.

was nice having your point of view. thanks.

Geraldine