Cleaning out strong scent

Josh-And-Tolu0
Level 2
Oklahoma City, OK

Cleaning out strong scent

A recent guest that we had left the room with a strong scent. I don't know if it's a perfume or body product but we've been airing out the room for 4 days now and it still smells. What do we do?

How do we prevent this from happening next time?

Our cleaning fee is $15 and thinking of increasing because of things like this

19 Replies 19
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Josh-And-Tolu0  try to find the spot where the smell is the strongest, maybe he spilled a perfume somewhere .If that's the case you will never air it, you should wash it.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Josh-And-Tolu0 1) Bicarbonate of soda - https://www.cleanipedia.com/gb/in-the-home/will-bicarbonate-soda-get-rid-of-smells.html 

2) Vinegar - I got rid of the smell of cigarette smoke (when a guest lit up whilst my back was turned) - by wildly waving a cloth soaked in vinegar (a tip I picked up here!)

Thanks @Helen350 , the link is broken for the bicarbonate soda. However, I'll try the vinegar

Helen350
Level 10

@Josh-And-Tolu0 An open box or dish of bicarb. absorbs smells. Or if there is an identifiable spillage - pour some on, then vacuum up later.....  Go google them both!

Tried the waving wildly the cloth soaked in vinegar, I think it works. Will do it a few more times maybe.

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Josh-And-Tolu0: Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 6,000mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer

It works wonders on hard to get out smells.

We will check it out. Thanks, @Barry-and-Lera0 

Helen350
Level 10

@Barry-and-Lera0 Oh that sounds expensive! - A vinegar cloth is cheap! 🙂

@Helen350: Currently $80 on Amazon so its no overly expensive especially if it saves a couple hundred booking. 

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Baking soda & coffee grounds can each be used to neutralize odors but I recommend baking soda most as it's cheaper & safe & doesn't leave a smell.

here is what I did when that happened to me. 

I washed all the sheets and even the carpet and curtains.

then I wiped the walls with 1:1 water vinegar  solution and the wood floors I used a 2:1 water vinegar solution. i opened the windows 24 hours. 

i hope that helps

Thanks a lot @Florence-And-Michael0