Coffee! What is your preference?

Julie545
Level 3
Scotland, United Kingdom

Coffee! What is your preference?

What is your favourite kind of coffee?  Brand, style, etc?  I am a host who is more of a tea drinker, and I know relatively little about coffee.  I provide tea & coffee for my guests, so it would be interesting to find out what is really popular in terms of the coffee you like to drink at home.  

35 Replies 35
Julie545
Level 3
Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for chiming in!  @Sarah977 You are absolutely right, I did open a can of worms  😉  I was curious to see if there was some different answers from around the world, and if I could find a few similarities between cultures, too.

I lived in the States for several years up until recently, so I am familiar with the importance of coffee for Americans, and of course the popularity of Starbucks.  

@Damien96 Once I make some profit  I'll invest in a coffee machine with a variety of pods - seems like that'd be the best idea!  I can understand about Brits bringing their tea bags with them.  It's not something I would do on holiday, but I know people who tend to do it, and also recall that finding a cup of tea that tastes just like it does in Britain was often hard to do in the States - not a criticism, just an observation. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julie545 Whenever I have friends or family come to visit who I know to be tea drinkers, I always suggest they bring a box of their favorite tea, as tea is not a Mexican thing, and while there may be a box in a local store, it's really poor quality. Of course they leave whatever is leftover here, so I now have quite an array of teas to offer to guests.

Julie545
Level 3
Scotland, United Kingdom

That's a great idea.  You'll have a very nice selection to share with your guests.  

Coffee gladdens hearts, from Vienna to Naples, from Manaus to Bogotà, from Asmara to New York. It frees its heart, reveals its aroma in proportion to the attentions that are dedicated to it.

Happy the hand that pours it. Blessed is he who tastes it. A nutty colored “espresso”, a “macchiato” or a “cappuccino” with its compact foam as soft as snow.

A national ritual in Italy., @Julie545. The poetry of life. In the morning, when you wake up. The immediate well-being emphasized by a sigh, and an eloquent silence. A fleeting moment. The day begins, and we've already got the best of it. Well, you see, it takes so little to be happy...

@Julie545 - French-pressed Starbucks Dark Roast (particularly Gold Coast which they have just discontinued!) or espresso/lattes/cappucinos either from our machine or Melitta stovetop.  We occassionally make iced coffee when the weather turns too hot.  Always for us with cream and sugar but most of our guests drink it black.  If you are looking for a coffee option, real coffee drinkers will always drink drip coffee from a basic Mr. Coffee machine and you can buy a mid-range commercial coffee like Folgers or Maxwell House. 

Thanks @Alice-and-Jeff0! I’ll have to investigate a dark roast sometime. For now I think medium is - well - a happy medium 😊 I love iced coffee, too. 

On a side note, I love Durham ❤️ I have been there many times. Such a lovely part of the world. My heart often aches for the pretty scenery & delicious BBQ! 

Come visit any time, @Julie545!  We'd love to have you.  Carolina BBQ is really so much different from other types that we recommend all of our guests get some while they are here.  

Oh, it's a must.  Unless you're vegetarian  😉  But then there's hush puppies... mmm. 

I'll definitely save your listing for the future   🙂  Durham is a place I hope to always return to.  

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hi, @Julie545. French press coffee here when guests come to the house, and fairtrade so it is served with a dash of righteousness. 🙂 Also tastes great. Dark, so they can take it straight or dilute it with milk. 

But I provide those k-ration packets of instant coffee in a container on the treehouse shelf for the brutish and those who just cannot do without caffeine of some sort and have forgotten to pack their Tanzania Peaberry. 

Forgive me, everyone! You can't? Okay, I understand.

Julie545
Level 3
Scotland, United Kingdom

I provide Fair Trade coffee, too. Righteousness always tastes good ☺️ 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Deffo a Nespresso machine when your funds allow for it. People really like it, even if they don't use it. Adds a bit of faux luxury.

It's funny that Starbucks is so popular with many of our American friends. You're likely to be carted away to the Gilead colonies if you so much as mention you've walked past one where I live. That said, somebody must be using them, we've got four in my little area!

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Some of my guests are perfectly happy to  grab a cup of Instant coffee and I use Kenco Rich, which is really quite good.  I also provide fresh coffee made in a cafetiere and usually use Taylors Rich Italian roast 4.  For sentimental reasons I buy Kilimanjaro ground coffee if I can find it.  What they  put in it is up to them, but I provide brown sugar and "blue top" milk.  Tea is always popular, with Twinings English Breakfast tea coming out on top, closely followed by Earl Grey.  I agree with @Gordon0, who lives not far away from me, that Starbucks should be avoided at all costs - dreadful places.  Where I live, just off a wonderful street called Pitshanger Lane, we have three independent coffee shops all of which are great and all of which serve home made cakes!

Thomas339
Level 10
Basel, Switzerland

I love coffee. Personally, I grind my beans before using my Italian Caffettiera. I use very different beans any time.  My preferred beans is Caffà Ferrari Espresso Napoli and some more.

For my guest, I have a Nespresso machine with pads in different flavor. Easy to use, most guest know the system and as @Gordon0 says it ad a bit of faux luxury. Personally, I don't like the brand and the coffee to much bust for the guest it's the best way I think. 

Dave-and-Ant0
Level 3
Manchester, United Kingdom

Lavazza. It's not the cheapest, but it can be bought for a much more reasonable price at discount outlets such as B&M Bargains and Quality Save.

Good tip, thanks!