Confused about guests' reviews

Confused about guests' reviews

I am brand new to Airbnb so this is my first booking and I see no reviews for the gentleman who has requested a reservation. I have read all the community writeups regarding reviews but not where to find them. Under his picture it says he has 3 verifications. Is this where his reviews would be if he had any? So am I not seeing any reviews because he has none?

This leads to my next question, if someone has no reviews what are things you can do to protect yourself and learn more about this person?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

I like believe in people. Remember, As a new host you don't have any reviews either. That said you need to be comfortable especially if you are letting them into your home. I would engage them in a conversation via chat something like " I see your new to AirBNB can you tell me a little more about yourself and your plans. ".

If all goes well and you feel mutually comforable then perhaps you both will each get your first reviews.

Andrew
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Mark131
Level 1
Kent, WA

I'm in the same boat you are!!! I have checked my first guest out on Facebook and LinkedIn and it made me feel a little better... But I think we will have that doubting feeling until we get a few under our belt...I just wish my first was well documented..... Taking the plunge I guess!!
Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Robyn34,

We all have to start on Airbnb at some point. 🙂

The best way to make yourself comfortable with new Guests is to simply chat with them before they book. Set an expectation of friendly over communcation. You'll find 99% are excited with the idea of staying with you and will happily share plans with you... and ultimately make you more comfortable.

All that said, the first go on Airbnb as a Host has a degree of 'diving in the deep end' about it, so embrace some of the nervous energy where you can. 🙂

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

Benjamin42
Level 2
Columbus, OH

I also am confused about this. Can someone please confirm that if as a host, I can't see and of the requesting guests reviews, that means they have none? Also, I want to speak on the phone with a guest about their proposed plans, but when she sent me her phone number in the air b n b message app it blocked the phone number. Is there any way to communicate with this potential guest to get a better understanding of their plans before I accept the request? Thanks!
Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Benjamin42,

No Reviews = New Airbnber... a very common occurence! 🙂  You can click through to their profile and see when they joined and whatever profile information they've shared.  We all start at 0.

Regarding a phone conversation with a Guest. This should be unnecessary and is frowned upon by Airbnb - it's best to keep conversations in messages and ON the platform.  Once the booking is complete you will have access to email and chat on the phone directly... that information is shared.

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

I often accept people without reviews.

I ask them to upload a Photo ID to their profile and that's it.

I haven't had any problems.