Conveniently changed number of guests on request after realizing additional fee

Jeff238
Level 2
Burlington, Canada

Conveniently changed number of guests on request after realizing additional fee

I have a guest who is 18 who sent an enquiry with 1 guest listed but in our conversation stated there would be 11 guests ages 17-19. I was immediately nervous due to the ages but proceeded to advise them that this is a family cottage that our young children adore and they must respect the property and the neighbours including no excessive noise outside and was ok with the booking. I advised her of the total price prior to sending the special offer. Which she originally agreed to. I sent the "Special Offer" upping the number of guests to 11 as she had stated (I have additional fee for any guests over 8 to a maximum of 12). Once seeing this and I'm sure she saw my "additional fee" note/function, she then tells me there will only be 8 guests. 

How do I get out of booking with her now in such a way that I'm not calling her a liar and that I am not discriminating for age? My main reason is for the assumed lie right off the bat.

Any help is appreciated.

16 Replies 16
Jeff238
Level 2
Burlington, Canada

I have opted to reply with the following:

"It is concerning to us that the number of guests have lowered. Is it 8 guests or 11? While it may be that the numbers have lowered we just don't want our experience together to be tarnished by any false information. Only guests that are registered with us are permitted on the premises. Failure to comply with this may result in a further charge or eviction.

Please confirm the number of guests and that you have read the house rules including no excessive noise, especially outside and acknowledge that there will be no underage drinking on the premises as we will not be held responsible for any injury or legal issues that would arise from that. Your guests will be your responsibility.

Our community is monitored by both neighbourhood watch and the OPP(police).

Thank you,"

I wouldn't have a problem with declining young guests that are not accompanied by adults. It is my home and my decision.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Jeff238. This sounds like a party.  If it were me, I would not want the liability, especially with at least one underage. Do you have business insurance on this property that would cover any damages from a party or law suites form underage partiers ? Have you considered contacting Airbnb directly and asking them to cancel the reservation? I think that you would be saving yourself a lot of grief. 

Hi Rebecca,

We haven't actually booked yet which may be my saving grace. I am just not sure how to say "we will not be booking your stay" without providing sound reasoning. What I have done above is worded it in such a way that hopefully it deters them from wanting to stay.

I do have insurance which is specifically for rental networks such as this and there is also the liability coverage that comes from ABB.

It's quite the predicament that I haven't faced before.

Thank you for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

I'm not sure you need to justify not wanting to host what sounds to be a party.  Just saying.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeff238   Eleven 17-19 year olds? No way in the world would I take this booking. I'd contact airbnb and ask them to look at the message thread, then ask them to decline this inquiry or booking request becuase you are highly uncomfortable with it, on your behalf and without any penalties to you.

Joseph313
Level 2
Crestwood, KY

Just say no..... 

I got a group of 10-12 twenty something’s —- from different parts. I denied the first one and was then a very similar request from a different user — denied since I denied the first for similar group.  I get the impending your acceptance rate is below 80% —- but this is my house and I decide when I am comfortable with the group. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jeff238 Seeing where you're located, this is probably going to come up again for you. In the Bend, how do you avoid getting booked by teenagers who only want to go there to party? A genuine question... I think it must be a bit of a tough spot to be a host.  Do you have any strategies?

@Jeff238 Wow! 8 or 11 or maybe more 17 to 19 years old..... block you calendar and run! IMHO taking this kind of reservation is asking for trouble. It’s hard enough getting compensation from adult guests, but from teenagers eager to party? 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

From hotel FAQ :

If there is only one guest in a room, most hotels require you to be a minimum of 19 years of age. ... When a reservation is for two or more guests, at least one occupant must be 21 years of age or older if any other occupant staying in that room is age 18 or under.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Jeff238

The Special Offer  should have been at 10 times your regular price. 

David
Timothy50
Level 10
New York, NY

Just deny them on account of minors without a parent or guardian. Case closed and rest easy your place isn't gong to get thrashed.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

According to abb age discrimination rules, you must host any and all 18+YOs. (Unless you have a blessed exception like insurance parameters or such that requires a higher age)

HOWEVER, you certainly don’t have to allow an unaccompanied minor (less than 18) to stay without a guardian. 

Id tell them that you’ll need ID on every guest & that you’ll be nearby to monitor any concerns. 

You could deny & block them but your best scenario is for them to choose to go elsewhere of their own volition 

Jeanie19
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

I just had guests that were either deceptive or stupid.  Not sure which, so I chose the "higher ground".  Anyway, she booked for 4 guests, but 8 arrived.  My max number is 6 people, so when I tried to change the reservation, I had 2 problems.  First it would only allow me to put in for 6 and second, because the stay had technically started, I was completely blocked by airbnb from making the change to the number of guests.

I tried making a request for money, but the amount I calculated she owed me, was different than what she showed me on her phone that she paid airbnb.  So we just resolved the issue through a compromise, but honestly I feel cheated out of money I should have gotten, and I have a feeling she has done this before.  (she even said that her friends were mad at her for not booking correctly, that they couldn't afford the extra money, and could I give her a break for guests 7 & 8 by not paying for them).  Now, I will make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the number that is booked is the number that shows up.  Unfortunately, this situation is complicated by the fact that they arrive at different times in different cars.  Just glad that we are always on the property when we check in guests, as hosts with just a lockbox, don't really know how many are staying!