Copyright Infringement Notice from ISP due to guest torrenting on my network

Copyright Infringement Notice from ISP due to guest torrenting on my network

I just read an email from my Internet Service Provider advising me they received notice from owners of a copyright that their work had been transmitted on my network without permission. I assume this means the TV show noted in the details was torrented. I do not torrent, but I had a guest staying with me on the date of the violation. So it's clear to me that my guest was torrenting, and this is a liability issue for me. Has anyone had a similar experience? How did you deal with it? After looking online, I couldn't find any solutions that didn't involve taking away my guest's access to the network, but I don't feel like that's an option. Any solutions? Thanks for reading.

21 Replies 21

I just had the same thing happen to me from a couple from Italy.  Did you have any other issues from Comcast or was it just a warning? 

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Also consider using a VPN. That will mask your IP and the file sharing can't be tracked back to you. I guess that kind of encourages the behavior as opposed to preventing it but it gets you off the hook. 

I have my very first guests staying and after night 3 of 5 I received a notification in my email from Xfinity about this infringement. I have a dedicated modem and Wi-Fi account for the apartment they are renting. Would you notify them of this notification before they leave? Thanks, from a newbie.

@Christopher462  I wonder why you would NOT notify them of the notification.  You need a trail of the communication in case you are fined for the guest activity.  It is good you have a dedicated account so it is a clear picture. Then you need to determine if there is any way you can prevent this behavior.  I do have a house rule prohibiting this activity.   Do you?

I did notify them yesterday by sending an image of the communication from Xfinity. I received a very apologetic email in response with assurance it would not happen again. I feel secure with this now.

Since it never occurred to me a guest would torrent  no I had no rule against it but now I will implement one.

@Christopher462  Good to hear the guest was responsive.  Frankly, I had NO idea what the heck "torrent" was, but I read posts about it and that is when I added a rule.  I appreciate learning from more educated hosts on this platform.  

We too just received a legal notice that shows that a guest illegally used our internet.  Airbnb suggested adding house rules.  I also contacted the guest, am awaiting their reply,  and documented the name of the guest. 

My internet service provider suggests settings on a router so I am researching how best to block illegal downloads (torrents) and sharing of copyrighted material. I will look more closely at the suggestions in this topic to see if I can take care of this myself as I am a little technically challenged. 

Add to that that our rental is a three hour drive and it becomes frustrating.  Last month I had to travel to the house to use the TV remote to BLOCK guests from upgrading my service.   Alas, my list of house rules just seems to grow longer and longer.