guest left early and angry

Maxo0
Level 1
Jacmel, Haiti

guest left early and angry

A guest booked for a week and arrived a day late. When they arrived, they said they wanted to leave because they had to climb a hill (the house is in rural haiti) and that there is no wifi (the house is in rural HAITI!!!), even though it never said it had wifi. They sat there and refused to leave until we agreed to refund them. So we said we would do it online, because it was the only way they would leave and they were getting angry and intimidating. But we have a moderate cancelation policy, and the house is really as described. Maybe I forgot to mention the hill, but didn't think it was that big a deal, no one else has ever complained about it, it's just the way things are here in Haiti. I don't know what to do. Do I have to refund these people even though this is the 2nd busiest weekend of the year?? Help!

5 Replies 5
Jack16
Level 2
Washington, DC

It depends on your desicion. But you have to explain everything at your listing. You should think they are foreign and don't know may things like you. I don't know what is your cancelation policy. If I were you I would ask Airbnb help.

Brittany1
Level 10
Chicago, IL

You definitely do not have to refund them. It's your choice. I would defintely spell out every little thing in your listing to avoid situations like this in the future. Good luck.

Janice1
Level 6
Tamaterau, New Zealand

@Maxo0

Make sure they cancel from their Airbnb account.  There are penalties for a host cancelling.

Regards

Janice

Danny9
Level 10
Palma, Spain

Experience shows that many guests book WITHOUT reading the description. We have all grown to be very visual these days. But quite a few guests apparently book  even WITHOUT looking at the pictures, too. No doubt, this is their good right, too.

Once they arrive they start voicing their criticism or when they leave, they write less than flattering reviews or as in the case may be here, want their money back. 

Honesty is the best policy here. You want to describe your listing as truthfully and accurately as it is possible, AND then, you want to stick to your guns, too! If a guest neglected to read the listing, look at the photos, etc., he is alone to bear the consequence of his negligence.

There is nothing any host can do beyond describing his listing in a most accurate fashion and putting in Airbnb verified photos to show it.  

If you find this information helpful, consider clicking the Thumbs-Up icon near lower right. Thanks!

Bill260
Level 2
Homosassa, FL

The Airbnb staff needs to have a human review every one of the cancellations, and not average in a low star rating if it was only about anger and not about the property.  As a new host, I may have just lost all credibility and future guests.  A couple stayed for a weekend and gave me 5 starts, as had everyone else before that.  Then the same couple came back 3 weeks later, and were tired and angry, Left early, got their money back, and gave me a scathing horrible review, and all 1-stars!  I've had no knew guest sign-ups since, so by averaging in 1 star with 5, by reputation has been destroyed and it may be i will not have any more guests.  Has anyone else EVER received only 1 star in every category after the same couple gave 5 stars 3 weeks earlier?