Covid Vaccination Certificate Requirement

Covid Vaccination Certificate Requirement

We closed our BnB cottage in March 2020 because of Covid. Yesterday we began accepting reservations for June 5 and beyond.

I thought we were being original. Our listing was updated with an opening statement that Covid Vaccination Certificates are required for every guest prior to them being given a key.  In addition to the Airbnb listing, we will include a statement with our response to their reservation request.

I soon discovered that we are not alone with that requirement.

Has anybody else done this? Has Airbnb made a statement about it. 

187 Replies 187

@Michelle2137 Please write Airbnb in their feedback link. That’s the only way they will hear this. 

The vaccines are the only way to get rid of it. The breakthrough cases are for a few reasons. 1) The vaccine needs a booster at this point. 2) The virus is mutating and getting stronger. If people don’t get vaccinated it could eventually be resistant to this vaccine and we will have to start all over for the umpteenth time. 

I feel it is my responsibility to society, my community, neighborhood, family and myself to take a stand for this, thus, I have put the requirement on my listing. It has not hurt my business. It would be helpful if Airbnb made it an option for both guests and hosts.

I just wrote Airbnb and the message I got was that they are receiving a larger than average call volume, so it’ll be a while before they get back to me.

Airbnb does not like to work with their hosts. They make it almost impossible to work with them. I used to work for the largest travel agency computer system in the world. We were in constant contact with agencies to ensure our platform met their needs. Airbnb never seems interested. 

@Michelle2137 Unless people decide to quit hosting altogether, the issue of breakthrough cases is one we just have to accept as a possibility. 

But if the guests are vaccinated, the reports I'm reading now are that the vaccinated are less contagious, even if they have a breakthrough case, than the unvaxed. They shed less of a viral load. If the host is also vaccinated, that of course is an added protection. And while there have been breakthrough cases, the number of those compared to the number of people who've been vaxed is still relatively small.

I also think those who have been vaccinated would be more likely to let the host know if they think they might have contracted Covid anyway and are feeling ill, as well as taking more precautions re masking and distancing than the "it's just a little flu" crowd.

Neil522
Level 2
Glen Davis, Australia

I am a host in a rural area of NSW , Australia. We are currently in lockdown but this looks like being lifted late next . The State Government has yet to release full guideline details for the re-opening but it is clear from what they have said so far that hosts will be required to ensure guests are fully vaccinated and maintain a register. Where there is good mobile reception many hosts at cafe’s/cinemas/restaurants etc  will no doubt use the QR code for checking in and Vax Certs. Out here reception is unreliable and it is not really appropriate to wait until a guest arrives before viewing their Vax Cert….they are not going to take a doorstep  refusal to allow entry and a no refund policy for failing to provide kindly . Hosts need to have proof of the vax status of all guests at the time of booking. How can I do this? What are Airbnb doing to facilitate this? I can foresee a nightmare of issues around instant booking and  host cancellation without Airbnb being pro-active on this.

Dawn728
Level 2
Florence, SC

My statement is in my House rules. They have to be vaccinated to rent my space because the room is within my home. I didn’t specifically asked to see a vaccination certificate, but I do ask them in the first email. Then I suggest another place in town. I noticed that Airbnb threatened to withhold $50 from me because I was going to cancel them. They ended up canceling before I could do it. That policy punishes me for making rules for my own home. I don’t like that at all.

Yes I wish they would make it an option in search & booking criteria. I wrote them via the feedback link. I hope others will do the same and encourage them to do this. I find guests appreciate the mandate as well. It’s a win-win for all.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your contributions to this thread.

As I no longer feel this discussion is positive and productive, I'm closing this topic for further replies.

Please keep in mind that making assumptions, targeting other members and  spreading misinformation will not be allowed in the CC.

If you have any questions, please refer to our Community Center Guidelines and feel free to get in touch with me via DM.

Thanks for understanding,

Liv