Cut from glass in spa

Lee-Anne-and-Shane0
Level 2
Moana, Australia

Cut from glass in spa

Hi guys,

a guest is asking for compensation, because his partner sustained a cut to her foot from broken glass in the spa.

some facts:

-We have the spa serviced weekly but that probably wouldn’t identify broken glass,

-We have had a number of recent guests since I last used the spa and confirmed no glass,

-They haven’t shown a photo of the injury or indicated it required emergency treatment.

-there is a photo of glass, but for all I know they could have broken a glass themselves.

I feel that we have done all we could do, and it is an unfortunate accident that we couldn’t have foreseen. I just don’t know why we need to give them

money for the inconvenience. We don’t charge others for broken glass or stained towels, so we think there should be give and take both ways. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Shane and Lee-Anne

9 Replies 9
Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

At the minimum, I would express that I'm sorry about any injury that happened AND inquiry as to any emergency room visit/bill. Maybe going forward reinforce the need to avoid using glass at the spa and use of the spa is at person's own risk. (You probably do this already). I wouldn't offer monetary compensation if there is no hospital bill. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lee-Anne-and-Shane0 

I've only ever had one injury here when a guest scratched their foot on a nail that had come slightly shy of the floorboard. I found out because the guest was hammering the nail back late at night. He showed me the cut, which he himself said was small and not deep. Still, I was very embarrassed that it had happened and rushed to get him antiseptic and plasters (continued to offer these throughout the stay).

The thing is, the guests really made a meal out of this. I felt like they were disrespectful and rude to me throughout their eight day stay. They left a horrible review that made the cut sound very serious, said that the guy was limping for days and it ruined their stay. 

However, they didn't visit a doctor or hospital and ignored my suggestion to go to the nearby pharmacy. They were out sightseeing all day every day. I never saw the guy limping, but did see him sprinting up and down the stairs without any problem.

So, would you give these guests a refund of any kind if asked? Nails do occasionally come shy of the floor. That is common with old Victorian boards. However, I hadn't spotted it and the guest had hurt himself, so that's on me.

On the other hand, the guests greatly exaggerated what happened. They said there were nails (plural) sticking out up to an inch from the floor. That's not true and not even possible. They said the house was undergoing renovations, with building materials lying around, and dangerous. Again not true. There were no renovations going on. I had some chalk paints and brushes in some boxes on one side of a wide hallway because I like to upcycle furniture and some wallpapers by my desk which I need for my job. Would you consider these to be 'building' materials?

Anyway, they didn't ask for compensation (just made my life hell for eight days) but I found out later that they contacted Airbnb and Airbnb dismissed their complaint. Airbnb never contacted me about it. I imagine that the guests came across as unreasonable people (they were) and were contradicting what was in my hundreds of glowing reviews...

But what if Airbnb had contacted me asking me to refund? What would you have done?

@Lee-Anne-and-Shane0  If the guest provides receipts for legitimate medical expenses due to an injury sustained on your property, you can file a claim with the Host Protection Insurance - https://www.airbnb.com/d/host-protection-insurance

But absolutely do NOT transfer any money directly to the guest or accept responsibility. It sounds like these people are just trying to get a free stay, so don't indulge them. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Lee-Anne-and-Shane0   

Don't do anything unless You get a letter from their attorney. Then see what their claims are a what kind of proof they have to support their claims.

I got a letter from an attorney early june telling me a guest wanted money. If I didn't pay within 14 days, they would sue me said the letter. I also got myself an attorney and told him to tell them:

• NO

Now we're in september and I haven't heard back from them.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If anyone, friends or family or guests, injures themselves on your property, you are liable and that is what insurance is for.  You can't do anything about a review except respond professionally once it is posted.  Otherwise it is a wait and see situation.  Once and if the guest seeks compensation, it is up to them to provide information that supports the claim.

Lee-Anne-and-Shane0
Level 2
Moana, Australia

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We agree with the sentiment, and it is nice to know we aren't ruthless evil people for not caving to unreasonable requests from our guests. 

We are disappointed in whoever the previous guest was that used a glass in the spa, then broke it, then didn't tell us about it.

The guy has now requested a full refund for two nights, as it has "ruined" his special weekend with his partner. I won't be engaging in this. Thanks @Linda108 for your advice about the review: we can merely respond professionally to their review.

And, of course, if there are legitimate medical expenses, we would assist via AirBNB's insurance (thanks @Anonymous )

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lee-Anne-and-Shane0  You've gotten good advice here, and one thing I'll add is regardless as to whether the guests are just scamming or not, do you have non-breakable cups available for use by the pool? If not, I would suggest that you provide some and also make it clear in your house rules (and a sign near the pool) that only unbreakable dishware is allowed in the pool area, and that beer, etc, should be poured into those unbreakable cups.

Thanks. Yes - we have acrylic glasses specifically for the Spa. We have tried to avoid posting signs all over the house to avoid coming across like a cheap motel, but we will do this with the spa as an additional precaution going forward. 

@Lee-Anne-and-Shane0  I totally agree that having notes plastered all over is quite tacky, but a nicely made sign by the pool as a reminder doesn't seem like something offensive.