Damage Claims

Scott90
Level 1
Tacoma, WA

Damage Claims

Curious what Airbnb's policy for damages is, both for hosts and for guests.  I've been renting my house for almost a year, and it hasn't come to it yet... but what if a guest trashes my house?  What if a guest falls down my stairs and sues me for it?  Does Airbnb offer any protections against these kinds of things?

5 Replies 5
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You can read about what ABB provide on the web site.

Short version is that there is some limited cover, quite what it is worth is arguable.

I do not remember seeing any liability issues discussed, a lot of damage issues and mainly from people disatisfied.

So think of it as a bonus and try and avoid the situation and make sure your own arrangements are adequate.

David

Thanks for the help David.  After some digging I was able to pull up the Host Guarantee and Host Protection Insurance Policy.  It looks like Airbnb will cover for both property damage claims and provide liability coverage for up to $1,000,000 per listing.  Although like you said, what it will cover or how easily a claim can be filed is another story. 

Well there are lots of conditions and naturally enough people tend to read the headline and not the limitations.

David

@Scott90   I suggest you search this forum there are numerous posts stating that Airbnb refused to pay for damages. Also, read the legal document closely, it is not as all encompassing as the heading of the article appears to suggest.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Your best bet is not to rely on Airbnb to cover any significant damages or liability claims, as their insurance acts as a secondary to the insurance you should already have in place for these types of circumstances.