Damage to our accommodation

Damage to our accommodation

Dear Community,

We have a couple staying with us currently. They are half way through their 2 month reservation. At the moment they are away for 3 days. On checking and cleaning the accommodation today I have found  damage to the hand basin (a chip out of the glaze and an obvious crack) indicative of a heavy object having fallen into the basin.  Apart from an alert in my house manual that we will need to recover monies from guests for any serious damages we don't have any other 'recovery mechanisms in place. Advice please of how to handle this with the guests (Airbnb)? Thank you

Lucienne

6 Replies 6
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lucienne2

First of all, if you don't have a security deposit in place then it's down to you and the guest.

Second: I assume you told them you were entering the property/rooms while they were away? Legally you have to do that.

Third: can you prove they did it? And no one else? 

If all. If that's above are 'true' then mention it to the guests when they return and gauge their reaction.

in the meantime it might be useful to get a quote for replacing the sick (or repairing it if that is viable)

Although I have no had any damages, 

I stayed at a condo that I found on www.homeaway.com and  included in my rrental was  a damage insurance that I think costs me $99 but was refundable if there were no damages.  The owner had 15 days after the rental ended to report any damages with photos and a estimate of repairs.  

Is this something that airbnb can seek out for their hosts???  Worried about my property damage.  I don't really want to have to go back and forth with my renters on this issue.  You plan for wear and tear but damages is another issue.  thanks

Thanks for the advice.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Sounds like something for the Host Guarantee.

David

Hello David,

I'm not sure that I know about the 'Host Guarantee' ...can you give me some pointers please? thanks.