Damaged wardrobe

Jessica40
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Damaged wardrobe

Hi there,

I've been doing this for a few months now and really enjoying it.

A guest has damaged my wardrobe beyond repair, and I am thinking about asking them to cover the cost of replacing it. But not sure if this is out of line?

To give you context...

The guests currently staying with me have been fine thus far. However, early this morning I heard a loud bang. They left the house for the day pretty quickly after this so I sent them a message to check everything was OK. Turned out one of them had sat in the shelf in the wardrobe breaking this and cracking the bottom.

Whilst they have apologised and have been pleasant guests up until now, the crack in the bottom is quite visible and if too much weight is put on it, it begins sagging. Also, the back of the wardrobe has been pushed out, damaging the wood at the back.

I don't ask for a security deposit so they have asked to sort this later this evening when they return.

I hate making people pay but as they've clearly caused the damage by doing something quite silly (sitting in the shelf) and it is brand new, I don't think it would be out of line to ask them to cover the cost of replacing this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jess
4 Replies 4
Kika1
Level 8
Kloten, Switzerland

Yes it is not very pleasant but it is your property and they damaged it. Of course they should pay for the replacement. 

And you might want to reconsider the deposit. 

Debi1
Level 10
Portland, OR

I would find a replacement just like what is broken and also get an estimate for repairs. Submit both to the guest and make your choice. Normally wear and tear is negligible but destroying a new piece of furniture is not.
Deb29
Level 9
San Mateo, CA

Hi Jessica,

I agree with the others. They caused the damage and therefore should pay for the replacement.

All the best,

Deb

Jessica40
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice - I tackled it directly with them, they've offered to pay and the issue is resolved. Thanks!