Day 10: Endless opportunities of short term rentals

Betty431
Level 3
San Antonio, TX

Day 10: Endless opportunities of short term rentals

Quincy_0-1639159054367.png

Opportunity!

It's a word that can sometimes be used with negative connotations, like opportunistic, or greed, but in fact, we as Airbnb owners have such an OPPORTUNITY to do great, life changing things with our properties. 

I spent the first part of my life living in LOTS of dwellings… apartments, houses, trailers, shared housing … I lived in about 20 homes before I was 12 years old. I never knew a connection to my living situation, and certainly never knew the magic of an inviting hotel!

So now, I provide temporary homes through Airbnb and I want those homes to be meaningful to people.

Our listings aren't just a night's stay. They are fortresses, scattered across the world. Protecting, cradling, comforting those who stay in them. I use my properties, StayKind Properties, as a means to give to the guest and also give back to the community. All of them promote kindness and commit to giving to charity from a portion of the profits. I'm sure so many of you do the same. If not, I encourage it!

I believe as Maya Angelou does, that “giving liberates the soul of the giver.” 

I encourage you to take advantage of your unique situation as an Airbnb owner - Do good, provide homes, promote kindness and GIVE! It's an opportunity you don't want to miss out on!

6 Replies 6
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for sharing this @Betty431! 🤩

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Betty431 

What a lovely post. That's a great way to look at things.

Yes, providing a meaningful stay is something that brings great personal satisfaction. It doesn't have to be something major, even small things can be life changing in small ways. 

This brings to mind the young lady (30 years old) who arrived telling me she had never lived in a shared space ever since living her parents' home (she was now an orphan). She just couldn't stand the idea of seeing other people's possessions in her space, not even a partner's. Oh no, I thought, this is going to end badly. I have a shared house with three guest rooms as well as my own and three cats. I could just see the 3 star review coming 😞

All turned out well and we had a fab time with late night chats and movie nights with takeaways. She messaged a few weeks after checking out to let me know she missed her 'housemates'. She never thought she would like living with anyone else but now living alone seemed to lack something. 

She is coming back to visit next month and, hopefully, the other guest who was staying at the time will visit also for a reunion. Movie night and Indian take aways are in store.

It seems like a small thing, but it changed this person's attitude to to how she interacts with people and made her more comfortable sharing experiences and good times and, to me, that is meaningful.

Beautiful post! 

Steven and Tamara Bachofer- Fox
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Such a nice post. Thank you @Betty431 

Caroline1936
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Betty431 Thank you for posting, what a genuine and kind way to look at life.  Small things and kind gestures can make such a huge impact on people who are dealing with things we can't see.

I received a VERY last minute booking earlier this month, the booking came at 6.30 pm for that evening for a 7 night stay, which at first made me quite uncomfortable especially as the person who made the booking had only joined AirBnb that month, or that day for all I knew.

I gently asked a few questions, after some back and forth the story came out.

The person making the booking was the brother, the actual guests were his sister, his mother and two nieces both of whom were under 5.

His sister was driving from Manchester to Cornwall, and was actually on the roas as he was trying to book my static caravan, with an arrival time of about 8.30 pm.

He told me that his sister was running away from her abusive husband and taking the children away for a week to get some persepctive on what had happened (I didn't pry).

For a slit second I was thinking, oh no, an irrate husband turnign up at the caravan park and...

Then I checked myself and thought, what if that was me, one of my children, one of my friends.

I instantly accepted the booking, apologised to the brother and told him the emergency contact number for security on the site just in case she might need it.

They were the perfect guests, the children loved the pool and had a lovely break.

She left a lovely review and appreciated the safe space,

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Betty431 and welcome to ABB CC from a fellow Host in Auckland, New Zealand.

Thanks for stepping up and sharing your story.

Isn't it great to help others who are in need of STR's?

I call these people in need, the 'Hidden Homeless', as it's often people who slip through the cracks and are overlooked as been in need of a home and somewhere they can feel safe to chill out.

@Caroline1936 @Tamara-And-Steven0 

It's an area where there's a huge need in society.

@Huma0  I'm sure your reunion will be an occasion to remember with fond memories.

All the best