Dishwasher run with dishwashing liquid

Judy2
Level 2
North Hobart, Australia

Dishwasher run with dishwashing liquid

I'm going to assume my guests didnt realise  it was wrong to put about a cup of dishwashing liquid into the dishwasher, (it was a very interesting sight like giant snowdrifts).  The guests were Chinese but spoke very good English so I had assumed they could read English language labels, perhaps not.   The double set of Fisher & Paykel dishdrawers are probably going to have to be replaced or at minimum new circuit boards. The repair man comes in 2 days but I fear the worst.  Even if repairable it'll be more than the accommodation paid.  The dilemma is do I attempt to claim or just have to live with the cost...?

6 Replies 6
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Judy2

Oh hell, that's terrible for you Judy. You do have a $200 security deposit set, but if the guest disputes any wrong doing here then it may be difficult to claim.

As the Host this is what you should do regarding claiming through the Resolution Centre...

Security deposit.png

And this is the procedure from the guests side.....

Security deposit 2.png

So Judy, follow those guidelines and contact the Resolution centre through your guests reservation confirmation and give it a go.

The other thing is, you do have to spell things out in black and white for guests...they are not familiar with the operation of your equipment like you are and these things will happen. It only needs a small laminated note on the dishwasher..." Please use one supplied detergent table from this pack" , and put the Finish, or what ever you use close handy.

If you do need to contact Airbnb by phone the number in Sydney is 02 8520 3333....Geez I know that number better than I know my own!!!

All the best Judy.    cheers.....Rob

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Judy

I know this is not going to sort out you dishwasher problem in the current case,

But have you tried to use "Tabs" for both washing machine and dishwasher, they are more expensive but they manage portion control very well, additional only leave enough tabs for a doing what you consider is they right amount required for the stay.

Stop the guest temptation to help themselves to a few.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cormac0 @Judy2

Yeah good call Cormac I should have thought of that....although I haven't got my Irish brain on today!

If you leave it out, guests will take advantage of it! I had overnighters that found their way into the restock cupboard and took 4 full size cakes of boxed Dove soap, all the chocolates they could find, large bag of nuts and a box of cereal. My fault for letting them have access to it!

Only leave access to what would be reasonably expected to be used during that hosting. Another host in this area had a habit of putting a wicker basket full of toilet rolls in the bathroom...probably 14-16 rolls! Next morning on servicing......zippo, the lot gone!

I sort of felt lucky after this lot had gone that they left the front door still on the cottage for me! They were nice people but did not have a concept that this is not a hotel, these costs have to come from somewhere....they just didn't think!

Thanks for adding that Cormac....good one!

Cheers......Rob

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

great replies! I would also raise your security deposit. I have mine set at $3000 for my large units and $2500 in my smaller one. I figured out how much it would be to refurnish the apartments if the worst happened. Sounds like I need to raise mine a bit.

I have only had a few questions about deposit and they were from new to airbnb guests. When I answered that Airbnb does not collect or put a hold on that amount and that it is for any damages caused to the apartment like missing large items or holes in walls ect. They understood and went on and booked. Nice accomodtions come with a cost.

I can't use pods or tabs in my appliances. The pods leave a residue in the washer and gets on clothes.

I am reading this because I had a tenant use Dawn Dish Soap in a dishwasher and then text me, "Something's gone wrong with the dishwasher." What they had not disclosed was that they had actually flooded the kitchen floor and then tried to clean it up... and then left the dishwasher full of the residue. I had to discover all of this on my own when I went to the rental to clean and ran the dishwasher myself - only to re-flood the floor with suds. There is a small piece of wood flooring that buckled as a result. The tenant seemed nice - but could not figure ANYTHING out... including the number keypad, the digital thermostats and the wifi. Upon arrival at the unit there was NOTHING wrong with any of these things and their difficulty had been 100% user error. They also left the heat on 75 burning days of unnecessary heating oil. I am frustrated but in reading some of these comments of similar nature - wondering if it is worth the headache of filing a claim?

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Just an FYI, if this happens to you, pour salt on the suds and then pour a few tablespoons of cooking oil in the bottom of the dishwasher and run a rinse cycle.