Do you mention anything to guests who move your furniture around?

Nick427
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

Do you mention anything to guests who move your furniture around?

I rent out the neighbouring apartment to my own, and it has its own separate entrance, so I don’t see anything the guest does until they have checked out. 

Occassionally I enter the space and will observe the bed pulled out from the wall, at different angles. The desk in the room pulled out from the wall and left. The kitchen table in a completely different orientation in the kitchen. Not sure what some people are doing, but they seem to need to move my furniture around.

Truly, all things considered it’s not really a big deal. 30 seconds and everything is moved back to how it was. And part of me would feel really nit-picky if I started to mention it to guests. It just seems ‘off’ to leave them a perfect review with no mention of it, when 95% of other guests don’t move the furniture around.

But then again, the 3 rating categories don’t really fit this issue unless I write it in my house rules to not move the furniture around, ha. 

What would you, or what do you, do?

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nick427  I wouldn't consider this a big deal- as you say, it takes a very short amount of time to move it back. It's not something I'd consider bad behavior. Why people feel the need to do this, I don't know, but obviously it works better for them that way, or it's a way of making the place feel like their own for the time they are in residence.

If you don't already, I'd make sure to have felt pads on the legs of furniture so the moving of it doesn't scratch up the floors.

And I remember one host saying that after several guests had changed the orientation of a piece of furniture, she realized that it was actually better like that (or at least worked better for her guests) and left it in the new position.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Nick427 @Sarah977 in our check-out request list we ask guests to return anything they moved to its original position, but it still happens. As a guest, I have moved furniture that just doesn't work in its current location. For example, a house rented for six people with the only dining table against the wall lengthwise so it can seat 4 max, or a chair blocking access to the closet. If you find anything in particular is regularly moved I would consider that possibility.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Nick427we have in our house rules that moving and disassembling our furniture is forbidden. ( yes, from experience, ahh... )

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

About one in ten guests needs to move everything around here, @Nick427 . I'm the same as you - I just move it all back without saying anything. If it were a better spot, I would consider it, but often it is not. I think there are people who just need to make the space their own. If it makes them happy...

It’s normally not a big deal for me, but I had one guest who decided to move the TV from the living room to the bedroom, and in the process, scratched the entertainment center and broke a picture frame. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

POLTERGUESTS!!! 🙂