Drastic drop in requests and reservations

Drastic drop in requests and reservations

Good evening to all,

I would like to know if it is only happening to us, but since early November, the number of requests and reservations has dropped dramatically. I have not changed anything in the announcements (5 advs) , no negative reviews and lower prices for the few free dates in the following weeks. Supehost from several years. We have always had reservations constantly, throughout the year. It 's this happening to any of you?

48 Replies 48
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Paolo-and-Cristina0 I have had a bad streak the last few weeks. Finally got some reservations today but still not where I should be

@Inna22Hi Inna, many thanks for your kidn reply. Unfortunately in this last month I received only a few last minute bookings, and very few bookings for the next few months, which is strange because I usually sell well in advance. I think something has changed in Airbnb.

Donna519
Level 4
Bali, Indonesia

HI Paolo, We have also experienced a lack of incoming inquiries, lately - unsure why really?

We are also super hosts and with several super homes in our portfolio - I have also noticed that when inquiries do come, they come as "waves" with several within 48h and then very quiet for a week...Could it be Aibnb algorithm that regularly "shuffles" property listings positioning?

Happy hosting to all.

@Donna519Hi Donna, I found this same thing in all 2019, while before, I can tell you I received requests or reservations almost daily. Then as you also say, in recent months in 'waves', with short breaks and I thought it was because Airbnb pushed the ads with greater availability than ours. But the drastic decline began in early November. I move the announcements as always, every day but I don't understand why the visibility has dropped almost to zero.

Wish can change soon.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paolo-and-Cristina0  Many hosts, in many places, worldwide, have been reporting a drop in bookings. I think that between the ever-increasing service fees for guests, Airbnb's lack of decent customer service, constant tech glitches on the platform, and the proliference of scam listings, which Airbnb seems to do little about, in spite of their rhetoric, and the bad press, guests may be getting fed up. There have been many guest posts on this site saying that it's becoming almost the same price, and less hassle, for them to book a hotel room.

@Sarah977It is a pity. The problem is the customer services of other OTAs are really poor and Airbnb remains, in my experience, the ideal platform for holiday homes. What you are saying could influence, but in other groups of Hosts, I read that since about 7 November, many hosts have noticed a decline in bookings. A coincidence? or something that is changing in Airbnb?

Couldn't agree more.

But I also think HOTEL Tonight has a huge impact on last minute bookings. I did a search and about 75% of the same day or last minute listings in my area were bona fide hotels. 

Airbnb says that the number of listings on the website has increased (under the "trends in your area) tab anywhere from 20-40%. But my area is max-capacity 2x4 mile wide island that simply has no space for new build homes. We are out of land, and the city HEAVILY regulates Airbnb so that locals can't just rent a couch, spare room etc..without a transient rental license which are not being issued. Unless you already have one or trade one, it ain't happening. We have an "Airbnb police" task force to enforce this. So how did this number suddenly jump? Hotel Tonight, that's how. 

Yet I've gone from having a 95-99% booking average this time of year to a 30% booking average. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Reservations always came in waves. I attributed to something in Airbnb algorithm. I could have 3 reservations in one day and nothing for a week or two people fighting over the same set of dates with the whole month being empty. But now it is different. It is just dead silence. I also have nothing from other platforms. 

Clear. Maybe low season? people are busy with Black Friday and Christmas...? I don' t know. Wish everything can change and come back as before.

Trudi16
Level 2
Henley Beach, Australia

Yes my bookings have dropped dramatically as well. Guests are telling me they see the room rate and think that is what they will be paying but the significant service fee adds quite a bit to the room rate and they not prepared to pay it. For example my room rate is $180 per night but you add the service fee of $25.50 and the total cost is $205.50. 

Hi @Trudi16 Trudi16, the costs for Airbnb commissions are still higher for guests than for hosts. I wonder how sales of 5 homes of a certain level, (as your) which for years have always gone well, can decrease from day to day. I think it's also your case. we have been superhosts for more than two years. Wish this siatuation is due to a low season only...

Mod1
Level 4
Barcelona, Spain

Hey everyone, I've been experiencing the same thing for around 2 months and I think I know what part of the problem is. I rent two rooms that have consistently been some of the best ranked in Barcelona during 4 years (4.91 and 4.87 from over 360 reviews for each,) and my booking rate has been a constant 100% until recently. I think the fact that the Airbnb switched from the visual star system to a percentage, number-based system has a lot to do with it.

Before, guests would easily see which listings were the best ranked while scanning the results (you'd see 3 star icons, 4, 4.5, and the few 5 stars) and that rewarded hosts like us who've kept a consistently high satisfaction rate and made our listings stand out from the crowd. Now, you only get to see small numbers next to the same one-star icon, and it's both hard to scan *and* makes the difference in rating seem less significant—when the user sees 4.2 and 4.8, the difference just doesn't seem that big (they're both 4 something,) while before it meant the difference between missing an entire star or a perfect, prominent 5-star score. This is especially relevant since the number of reviews is also less prominent, making the distinction between a 4.2 from 5 reviews and a 4.8 from 360 less obvious. I imagine this has been great to the places with a lower score, while hosts like me have lost the most from it (it's more about the title text and the photos now, the review score is less relevant when you scan for a place.)

I discovered that while searching for a place for an upcoming trip as a guest—it was actually hard to find the better-ranked rooms to shortlist, and I found myself paying attention mostly to the photos. From someone who's done UX design, I have no idea how that seemed like a good idea to the Airbnb designers, and not just because it's hurt me as a host—it actually makes finding the better-ranked listings harder as a guest, and I'm computer savvy. Imagine the average user . . . . 

This seems to make results harder to scan, it takes away the benefits of the score we've worked so hard to maintain high, and it overall rewards the more mediocre listings and the more difficult guests. I feel like they could've simply added those small numbers instead of taking away the visual star icons, that would've accomplished the best of both worlds if they really wanted to be that specific. 

That and the fact that Airbnb is now advertising HotelTonight results seems to have dramatically affected my bookings and what I can charge. And this happened just after I spent thousands getting and preparing 2 new rooms to advertise on Airbnb . . . ouch!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Paolo-and-Cristina0 I do wonder if it is related to Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky and his advisory team's ill-conceived response to the Orinda shooting / murders which occurred on October 31. In seeking to protect guests, Chesky basically implied in his public announcements and press releases (for all the world to hear) that 'bad actor' hosts and their "party houses" are the reason there are scams and violence and deaths (etc) at Airbnb listings.

I myself would not have responded in such a way. Especially because the host was not responsible for the deaths in Orinda - the guest lied about the intended use of the Orinda home and ultimately she is responsible for the five deaths (along with Airbnb for rewarding hosts with lax booking requirements via their higher placement in the search rankings) - Yet now the HOST is being blamed (along with Airbnb) and is being sued. Since then,  many hosts are reporting a significant decrease in bookings starting in early November. Coincidence? 

Not sure what they were thinking over there at Corporate but it is a real mess. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Paolo-and-Cristina0It's disappointing to hear this from hosts around the world. I assumed the slowdown was limited to the U.S.

My bookings have been slim to none since the end of October. This is a trend I'm seeing in my area as well. You know it's bad when you can find a really sweet listing for an entire condo a block from the beach for $40 per night and no cleaning fee!!! Yes, it's off-season, but that's my middle of town, rent a room in my house, off-season rate.

In season that same listing should go for a minimum of $125 per night, off-season maybe $85 at minimum plus cleaning fee.

I have a repeat guest who has booked through the end of December but I'm still not going to lower my rates after he leaves. Thankfully I don't depend on the income to pay my bills but this sucks for hosts who depend on STR income.

I don't know what's to blame. I also can't decide if I'm comforted, or concerned that it's not just isolated to my area.