Expat Abroad but AIRBNB is requesting US Taxpayer Info

Sherry180
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Expat Abroad but AIRBNB is requesting US Taxpayer Info

Hello, 

I am an expat living aborad in Europe, and have hosted quite a few times last year (IN EUROPE - no listings in the US). I never bumped into the issue of having to state my US taxpayer information for my withholdings to be released to me. However, since I am living in the EU, it doesn't seem right to enter my information and sign a W-9 or 1099 form, and also be reported to the US. I am not living in the US and pay taxes where I live now. However, AIRBNB cannot consult me on this issue and also doesn't provide any option for a US citizen living abroad. It seems that I should pay taxes according to where I live (makes sense). Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

S

5 Replies 5
Ania15
Level 2
Louisville, CO

You should be able to add a taxpayer information for your European property somewhere in payout options. They do not report to IRS until a large threshold is reached. They do however report to the Spanish government for example, any amount. I opened my app this morning and was asked for my tax info to be send to the Spanish government. I am paying taxes to them as a non-resident. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sherry180   You should read up about FATCA. The US and Eritrea are the only 2 countries in the world that tax its citizens as opposed to its residents. And what they consider a "US person" is incredible. Even if you've never set foot in the US in your life, if one of your parents was a US citizen when you were born (outside of the US), they consider you a "US person" and subject to filing taxes with the IRS. 

There's also a very interesting website called Isaac Brock Society (can't post the URL, it will be deleted by the forum robot) which deals specifically with the ramifications of FATCA.

I once met a Canadian who happened to be born in the USA although she never lived there and she was forced to pay taxes too. America, love it or leave it, just don't earn money abroad!

@Donna240  Yes, they call those people "accidental Americans".

When FATCA was brought in several years ago, there was such a rush to renounce American citizenship by such people, as well as those who are now expats, that the fee for doing so jumped from about $450 to $4,000. Now I hear it's up to $6,000.

Vanessa812
Level 2
Jarabacoa, DO

Hi guys!

I’ve got my very first guests in my guest house now in the Dominican Republic, where I have been living for 22 years. Am I still considered a “US person” even though I haven’t worked or lived there for more than two decades? 

Also, I’m wondering how long others have experienced the wait to be for payments to be received? 

Thanks in advance, nice to be part of this community