Extra guest fee -- this feature needs one basic improvement

Rich3
Level 4
Philadelphia, PA

Extra guest fee -- this feature needs one basic improvement

Although I love the extra guest charge, there's a big problem with it. And it's a problem that could be easily fixed.

The house I rent has space for four, in two bedrooms. I charge extra for guests beyond two because I can see that the wear and tear  and the cleanup is significantly more. Not only because it's more people, but because sometimes each person feels less responsibility as it is spread among more people  (that's my theory, anyway).

Here's the problem:
The extra guest fee is is a flat amount per extra guest per night. It doesn't take into account the weekly or monthly discounts.

For example, let's take a $20 extra guest fee. For a 3-night stay ($300 for two), I think it's reasonable to charge $420 for four. But a one month stay ($1800 for two) becomes $3000 for four -- and that's not reasonable at all!

I'm sure that having an outrageous price like that show up in search results is scaring off prospective guests. I have noted in my listing that I will heavily discount extra guests for longer stays, but I doubt they get past the outrageously high search result. 

At a minimum it seems like it would be easy to add an option to reduce the extra guest fee in proportion to the overall rent, or make the extra guest fee a percentage of the rental fee instead of a dollar amount.

Even better, I'd love be able to charge different amounts for first extra guest, second etc. But let's start small.

1 Reply 1
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Rich3 that sounds like an excellent suggestion!  I recommend that you post this either in Host Voice or leave Feedback here: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

I'm sure other hosts who rent long term would appreciate this!  🙂