Fake Profile

Violeta32
Level 2
Zagreb, Croatia

Fake Profile

I host in Croatia. I get a request, which I need to accept or decline by some John. His profile claims to be from Donetsk, Ukraine (right now center of conflict) and school seems to be in South Africa. Clearly not many Johns from Donetsk and SA. How do I deal with such worring request for reservation?

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Violeta32

First rule: gut feeling - no matter what answers you get stick with that

Second: yep..there are a lot of unusual people travelling the world doing weird things from places you nor I would consider even visting. So that in itself is not unusual.

Either decline on gut feeling - or, ask more questions until you are comfortable.

I have asked questions 4 hours ago, no answer. Now again. Its just totally inconsistant. If Ukranian, what has SA to do with it? And I do not see reviews on his profile. For 3 yeras since he is on airbnb not even one? 

@Violeta32 you have 24 hours to accept or decline. You already asked him few questions and now just wait until he answers. Maybe he is in a different time zone or on the way so he doesn't check his messages at the moment.

If he doesn't answer you in 24 h period you can decline his request due to the lack of communication.

we also had some bookings which seemed weird and we were a bit worry but at the end everything was perfect. And vice versa... 

Who knows, maybe his parents were working in SA and now they or he is working in Russia... there are meny people who just work and move arround the world constantly (lucky them :)) 

Can somebody tell me how to flag this profile and point there is a problem with it? After 6-7 hours "John" send a meager explanation that they saw that my place is not available when they wanted it (after requesting 2 day reservation, which I was witing to approve or decline) and, of course, the request disappeared. Never answering to my inquiries, needless to say. Somehow I feel this was not at all legitimate case.

@Violeta32Just be glad the request has disappeared.  If it was something false or questionable, you are good to be shed of the problem.  I always ask questions of my potential guests.  If they don't reply, then I don't need them at my property.  Better to be safe than sorry.