False Fire alarm fine

Anna180
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

False Fire alarm fine

Guest set off the fire alarm in the unit. which led to three fire trucks coming to the building. They are checking out tomorrow and airbnb case manager isn't even responding to my mails??
the quote for the fine is about AUD$2000-6000. anyone had a case like this?? does airbnb holds money? PLEASE HELP!!
3 Replies 3
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

WHAT??? Extortionate! And OUCH!

What led to the fire alarm being set-off?  Was it as a result of something the guest knew they shouldn't do but did anyway, were they being reckless etc. etc.? All this will determine if/ how/amount of any you might get assistance towards the cost.

I suggest you try to contact Airbnb ASAP by phone if possible - view the link below for contact options; I hear Twitter and Facebook provide a quicker response although I feel you need to actually speak to someone in person as your situation is unusual and you will most likely have additional questions as Airbnb respond to your initial concern.

I wish you all the best,

Contact Airbnb

Ama

Thanks for the reply.

They left chicken in the oven and didnt do anything about the smoke. They claim that they used it 'normally'. i have informed Airbnb and they areng of much help. They just informed me that they escalated the case and they'll contact me. im just so worried that the guest will check out and i'll be left with the fine!!
Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Anna180,

An interesting one. Is this a fine from the Metro Fire Brigade?  What did your Guest do that set the alarm off? Have they admitted fault? If so, get it in writing!  It's a bit of a messy one but they are responsible for their own actions I'd personally expect.

I'd be pushing the Guest to explore their travel insurance policy and taking a good look at the fine print of my own insurance policy. Also consider exploring the Owners Corporation policies on this and see if they cover these false call outs.

Will the fine go directly to you or through the owners corp?

Have a quick read up HERE, it could be beneficial. All the best.

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂