Feature Request - Limit 'Instant Book' to not within 48 hours

Duncan35
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Feature Request - Limit 'Instant Book' to not within 48 hours

I'd like to request AirBnB to add a feature that allows hosts to set a timeframe which 'Instant Book' can't be used (i.e. guest has to contact host before getting approval to book).

We get a number of guests that 'instant book' same day and want to arrive within several hours. Most of these same-day-arrival bookings we are unable to host or are not in a position to let them arrive before we get home from work / prepare the room etc.

My request is that in the listing area we can set a timeframe for which 'Instant Book' is unavailable i.e. if you plan to arrive within the next 48 hours.

People may say turn off 'Instant Book', however hosts get penalised for doing this. Also the recommended AirBnB solution is to setup the minimum period of notice required for ANY bookings. We do not want to add this, as we are more than happy to consider last minute booking requests provided we can get the room ready and organise for an agreeable arrival time.

We are not new to this also btw. Last year we hosted 270 days (in the property we live) and overall we have hosted likely over 600 days.

Thanks

Duncan

7 Replies 7
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Duncan35 you can already set this.

Go to your listing, then booking settings, then choose availability settings. Under advance notice, choose 2 days. Then, under that, there is a line that says reservation requsts. You can choose yes so people can contact you for a reservation if check in is less than 2 days away. Screenshots below for clarification. 20180211_075627.png

Screenshot_20180211-075651.png

Thanks @Alexandra0 , my settings look a little different to this!

Instead I have a checkbox under Advanced Notice that reads 'For Instant Book hosts: Allow guests to send reservation requests without advance notice.'

It's not really clear to me what that means, but it doesn't sound quite like what I'm looking for considering the page says 'Your calendar is blocked 1 day from today.' when set to 1 day.

The reservation requests section under your screenshot doesn't exist for me!

@Alexandra0 I found this setting as you describe it! It only appears on the AirBnB phone app. Not the desktop website strangely.

I've now turned it on, so will see what happens 🙂 Thanks for the tip.

No problem, @Duncan35: sorry, I should have mentioned it was on the phone app. I don't like that there are differences between the desktop and mobine app. 

I have mine set to 1 day, and it has been working for me: I've had a few requests for same-day bookings that have turned into actual bookings. 

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Duncan35,

Feature requests can be posted in the "Host Voice" section of the site. to go there click on "Discuss" at the top of these forum pages and then select "Host Voice" from the menu.

Airbnb says that they will "consider" requests that get a sufficient number of thumbs up clicks. They don't say what "sufficient" is.

I have instant book, rent a room in my permanent residance and allow same day bookings. I see that you have check-in marked as flexible. Is it important for you that it be flexible? Would it be worth considering setting a specific check-in start time, like 1/2 an hour after you get back from work, so that you can still be flexible in communication with most guests but a bit firmer with same day check-in ones?

I know everyone's circumstances are different and one person's solution may not suit all. I have checkin from 3pm to 8pm and allow same day bookings up to 3pm. I do my damdest to make sure that the room is ready again that day by 3pm if someone checks out. not always possible of course but a great feeling when it happens and there's a same day booking.

I'd give your suggestion in Host voice a thumbs up.

You could put something like "For same day bookings guests must be flexible with check in time" in the message that's automatically sent to guests who book instantly.

Steve.

Thanks for the reply. The flexible check-in part is fine. It's more that I want more discretion around accepting bookings at the last minute.....I might have friends staying over, I might be out for the night etc.

I do have a message for people to accept saying not to instant book at the last minute, most people ignore it however!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have IB but not same day because I may not be available, so achieves the same object, most bookings I can agree to.

Flexible, no, I am not going to hang around all day to see what tome a guest turns up.

David