Fewer bookings since becoming a Superhost?

Fewer bookings since becoming a Superhost?

We busted our you know whats to become Superhosts from end of April to July 1 and while we did achieve our goal, ever since becoming Superhosts, our bookings have declined.  We were solidly booked prior.  The only thing I did was change the price, slightly.  For the amenities we offer and the extras we provide... the price should not be the problem...  The only thing I can think of is maybe this time of year is the slower "season" in my area?  Otherwise, it's very discouraging...  Any thoughts/advice or similar experiences?  Thank you!

15 Replies 15
John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Crystal-and-Stephan0

You look pretty booked up to me.  I don't see the price change as a factor as it is still much lower than a motel or hotel.  You are booked almost through September.

Maybe someone else can help you more as this moves from the unanswered column.

Hi John!  Thanks for the response.  This is my first time posting in the message boards so I wasn't sure what to expect.  Our calendar actually has 9 days still available for the remainder of August.  And I keep getting bogus "inquiries" as well.  Typically we are booked solid with the exception of any dates we manually block for ourselves.  Just not sure what to think.

@Crystal-and-Stephan0 have you tried putting the price back down and seeing if that changes your bookings?  We lose a few bookings to cheaper listings and usually get an email about that.  Have you gotten any of those emails?  It may just be a down time?  We live in a college town and didn't have any bookings in July, but August has been insane!  Airbnb is a lot of ups and downs.

Hi Zoe!  Thank you for your response.  I have moved the price "around" since, but not as low as it was initially.  I haven't received any emails like that as of yet.  We naturally felt that after reaching Superhost we could warrant a little higher price.  Plus, for all the amenities we offer and in comparison to listings in the area, we're in line (from what I can tell).  Maybe it is just a down time?  We are new to the hosting side so maybe I'll start to see a trend after we've been online for a few years.  Thank you for sharing your experience with me!

Michal45
Level 2
Jerusalem, Israel

לצערי אני בוחרת בשיטת התמחור הכי נמוך שיש שזה 80 שח בישראל זה בערך 15 יורו לחדר לשנים. זה יוצר מצב שכל הזמן יש לי תפוסה מלאה לשלושה חדרים. זה מעצבן לקבל מעט אבל אם אני מעלה ביורו את המחיר כבר יש פחות הזמנות למרות מאתים  ביקורות מעולות. זו שיטת תמחור שאומרת תרויח קצת אבל תרויח הרבה.....כי יום בלי השכרה זה יום אבוד.  בישראל יש לנו רשת סופרמרקטים כזו שנקראת רמי לוי. בעל הרשת מעולם לא למד עסקים אבל הוא הבין שזו השיטה לנצח את כל בסופרמרקטים.ובאמת זה כך. כולם באים אליו.כי אצלו כל דבר מוכח שזה זול.אחד הדברים החכמים שהוא עושה וזה למדתי ממנו הוא נותן מוצר אטרקטיבי חינם ואז כולם באים.המילה חינם היא מילת קסם .תשתדלו לחשוב איך להכניס משהו חינם.... לא משנה מה ..זה ממש עוזר .בהצלחה. מיכל מירושלים.

מצטערת שחלק מה גובה שלי נמחק על ידי התרגום

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Michal45

אני מסכים, חינם היא מילת קסם.

אני משאיר הרבה מזון חינם ואספקה לאורחים שלי. WWhen הם הולכים בדלת הם רואים את סל מתנה. הסל מחזיקה מגביע של תוסס וכמה מאפים טריים.

Ivana61
Level 3
Okrug Gornji, Croatia

I can agree, I have two listings, for Airbnb and it ended up that my neighbor has 3 reviews, average grade 4,5 and they RARE FIND that booking, not mine 😞

Ivana Okrug Gornji, Croatia
Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

Hi Crystal and Stephan, I hope this doesn’t come as a disappointment to you, but I think most other Superhosts will agree that guests really don’t care about the Superhost designation. I think most don’t even notice. The only supposed benefit is an alleged boost in listing priority, but to be honest I don’t think it really matters elther. I really doubt that guests are willing to pay any more for a listing that has the Superhost badge.  The ONE benefit I have found is that when you contact them for help they seem a lot more accommodating and responsive if you’re a SH. Also, they used to give a $100 credit to use for a stay if you make Superhost 4 quarters in a row, but I’m not even sure they do that anymore. Although I’ve been a Superhost most of the last three years, I honestly can’t say that it’s worth the stress over guest reviews and the inflexibility. Guests read reviews, look at the pics, and look at the price. That’s it. Wondering if any other Superhosts share those opinions?

Connie-And-Mark0
Level 2
Gloucester, MA

I received a $100 credit last Spring for being a Superhost at the end of my first year so I think that plan is still in effect. I think my prices are pretty low and I still get emails from AirBnB saying people book other places that are less expensive so I don't understand that. I just raised my daily rate from $105 to $119 and I'm still lower than most people in the area. I think guests just read the reviews before they book (at least that is what they told me).

Karen1027
Level 4
South Africa

When I became a superhost I also found that my bookings decreased. How strange! It has made no difference at all to be honest. It is very nice to have the status but as far as I have seen there are no benefits of any consequence. I would also very much like to receive response from other hosts about the smart pricing. Is it worth having this tool activated or not, because I have tried both and still have not managed to work out what is best. De-activate or activate? I find that the suggested tip rates are just far too low. Can anyone comment on this?

Just set your low to an acceptable amount, you can always manually over ride pricing to fill empty days coming up or move up for seasonal events 

Nancy594
Level 2
Patterson, CA

Hello everyone

I became superhost two time,  i don't see any different to impruve my booking, but my booking decreased! my question is why? i feel all the comentario have same on commun !the bookings decreased after we became superhost! I hope that aibnb not only focuses on new host 😞

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

our booking rate hasn't change after acheaving SH status but we didn't change the price either.

But... we noticed that just 5€ up or down makes a great impact to booking rates in our area.