Fragrance Sensitivity

Susan612
Level 8
United States

Fragrance Sensitivity

Booking guests with fragrance sensitivities. Your experiences? Good? bad? 

30 Replies 30

@Susan612 I don't think any host considers it "good" to have an incoming guest who claims to have a lot of special sensitivities. 

@Anonymous Would that extend to all disabilities or just special sensitivities? 

@Susan612 I realize that some people's sensitivities and allergies can be genuinely debilitating when triggered, and I don't want to downplay that. But I don't think it's realistic to treat this issue the same as, say, a mobility limitation. It's pretty straightforward for common disabilities: the host lists the structural accessibility features, and differently abled guests assess for themselves whether these meet their needs.

This kind of filter is unrealistic for sensitivities such as fragrances, toxins, or allergens, as they aren't structural concerns. A ground floor apartment won't move upstairs between the time you book and check in, but there are many ways beyond a host's total control that and airborne or residual substance you're sensitive to will enter the home. So even if Airbnb offered the filter you're asking for, hosts would be very unwise to use it. 

And no, a guest whose sensitivities or preferences might cause them to cancel their stay is not a dream guest. 

It’s interesting to me that you have such strong opinions about what should and shouldn’t be considered a disability. In The US, Chemical Intolerance, otherwise known as “fragrance sensitivity” (terrible term, it’s way more than a sensitivity) is protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act. So you’re way off base about whether it is or should be “taken seriously” as a disability, and it’s honestly pretty arrogant for you to even weigh in on that in the first place as someone who clearly doesn’t have this condition. 

it’s a disability. You don’t have to pretend you care, but don’t pretend you have any official stance of knowing what is and isn’t disabling either please, thanks.   

@Susan612  Disabilities such as mobility issues, blindness, and so on are pretty straightforward as to what the disabled person requires. A person in a wheelchair needs ramps, adequate width doorways and rooms, no stairs, countertops they can reach, and so on. These things apply universally to anyone in a wheelchair. 

Allergies and sensitivities are in a completely different category, as there are hundreds of various things one could have allergies or objections to. 

A home is either wheelchair accessible or it isn't. But a place can't be truly allergen free when there are so many different triggers for allergies.

Intolerance to fragrance is straightforward too. Use fragrance free cleaners, put fragrance free soaps in the suite, and don’t put air “fresheners” in the room. But an air purifier to use between guests and watch your booking sky rocket when word gets around that you can provide a space for people with chemical intolerance. 

It’s not that complicated to provide a fragrance free space if you have a self contained suite that you’re renting out. A room in a home wouldn’t be a good option for either the host or guests in terms of being fragrance free. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Susan612  So far, to my knowledge, we've not had any guests with fragrance sensitivities. 

But, I don't believe our listing would be a good match for such a person.  While we don't use a lot of perfumy products, never use fabric softener, we do use a wide range of cleaning products from DIY natural to covid protocol harsh chemicals.  We also are partial to linen spray, which while made w/natural ingredients, is still a fragrance.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susan612  **

**[Off-topic content and personal remarks removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

@Sarah977 First of all your comment is completely off subject so I have to wonder why you are trolling me. What’s inspiring you to troll me Sarah?
Secondly I would think a guest who shows up and cancels and the host gets paid would be a hosts dream guest. Don’t you? 

@Sarah977 @And if the guest shows up and cancels due to inaccurate and outdated photos or an amenity advertised that is not there or promises from the host that are not filled and Airbnb determines the cancellation is entitled to a refund under the host reliability and guest refund policy and you have a problem with that, well that Sarah is an issue you need to take up with Airbnb

@Susan612  Of course I don't have a problem with a guest cancelling if a listing is inaccurately described. I have a problem with a guest cancelling after arrival if they insist on booking and then checking out the property and deciding that it doesn't meet their extensive list of things they are sensitive or allergic to.

@Sarah977  your experience is the reason I started this post. AirBnb at this time only addresses mobility disabilities. If they would be willing to add filters for allergies and fragrance sensitivities I believe it would benefit hosts and guests allowing both to more easily find each other. 

@Susan612 “If they would be willing to add filters for allergies and fragrance sensitivities.”

It would be impossible for any host to advertise their space as free of allergens and guarantee it, for a whole range of reasons. Some examples to consider:

Airbnb makes it very easy for any guest to bring a pet to a non pet listing due to their ridiculous assistance animal policy, often times unbeknownst to the host. So there will be pet dander in a listing advertised as ‘no pets’.

Guests may use strong fragrances that can linger in a space for days. Some may bring in their own scented products like air fresheners or scented candles, or cleaning products, if a longer stay. 

A home and everything in it will off gas. Hosts may not have control over what products their cleaning companies use, and harsh products are needed in these pandemic times. 

Those are just a few scenarios. I doubt you’ll ever find a host who will advertise their space as allergy free, as again, impossible to control and guarantee, and doing so only opens the host up to trouble. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Reading your reviews you seem to be a dream guest to the right listing. Allergies are challenging but when you find the right place you seem to b e a solid return guest. Have never dealt with fragrance intolerant guest, but would certainly try if I was given guidelines. Not for a guest with awkward or bad reviews, but if I as host read yours I would do anything I could.