Full Refund to Guest - not working

Link0
Level 2
Whitefish, MT

Full Refund to Guest - not working

Can someone help explain what is happening here? 

Tonight I received an email from a guest who was scheduled to stay with me on the 26-28 of December.

Their dog has become ill and needed surgery.  Accordingly, they are unable to travel.  The guest requested a refund.

I have a "strict" refund policy.  Normally no refunds.

However, due to the medical emergency, I told the guest that they could have a 100% refund.

I went to cancel the reservation myself.  I received a message that said

Don't cancel for your guest. If you cancel:

The cancellation penalties will still apply.

Try asking Alicia to cancel instead. If they cancel, you can still offer a refund.

So, instead of cancelling, I asked my guest Alicia to cancel.  Then I received an email from Alicia saying that she cancelled the reservation but would only receive a 50% refund due to my strict refund policy.

This all makes no sense to me.

How can I get Alicia all of her money back?  I don't like giving refunds; but, she has a legitimate medical emergency and I promised a full refund.  What can I do to get Alicia the rest of her money back?

1 Reply 1
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Link0,

You did the right thing by not cancelling for the guest as you would have received the penalties.  I also think the guest could contact Airbnb with proof of the surgery and they would probably refund her the entire amount for "extenuating circumstances".

Below is how to issue a refund 

From Airbnb:

Issue Refund button

If your guest canceled the reservation before the check-in date, an Issue Refund button will appear under Your Reservations. To give your guest an additional refund beyond what the cancellation policy provides, simply click the button and enter the amount desired. Airbnb service fees are non-refundable for guests. However, your 3% host fee will be adjusted according to your final reservation total after the refund.

If this does not work, you could probably offer a refund through the resolution center by choosing "offer partial reimbursement". Check out my "How To" guide on doing this.

Please let others know which route you took and how it worked out.

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host