Fuzzy Math

Fuzzy Math

I'm totally confused by the way my Acceptence score is being handled. I had 86% the first time I had looked. I always handled inquiries by answering questions without pre-accepting or declining, so now I know I can't do that. Then I did not accept a guest booking request, becasue I wanted him to know that a renovation was taking place next door and did not want him locked into the booking before making an informed decision about staying. He didn't respond right away and the clock timed out. My 86% became a 79% for losing that 1 booking. I then booked 2 more guests and my rate only rose 1% for each booking. I now have 2 additional bookings and when I accepted the last, noticed that my rating slipped back to 80%. How did that happen? A week later I still have not seen any progress. So from 79% and 4 new bookings, I now have only an 81% acceptence score which is the same as when I had only accepted 2 new bookings. If I lose 7 points for one lost booking why do I only get 1/2 point for each new booking?

How many points get lost when you get timed out? How many do you get after redeeming yourself with new bookings? Is there a math genious among us who can figure this out. And while I'm asking, if you cannot become a superhost without at least 10 bookings which I had, why does my account say I've only had 9 bookings with 9 reviews that only represent 75% of my bookings? This is all looking suspiciously like a math apptitude test! Question: How many Airbnb employees does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Answer: None, they all use the flashlight in their cell phones, or remain in the dark. 

19 Replies 19
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Robin4,

It seems, these Congratulation Counters indeed do have a maximum of 50 ????

As (even with the strange issue, I described above, deducted). My Congratulation Counters seem to get stuck at 50 maximum as well.

Why on earth, would anybody want to limit/maximize such a counter?

As an IT guy, I would understand 99, but 50?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cor3

Yes you are right, so there is good and there is bad to come out of this Cor!

Anything less than a 5 rating is always going to show on the category bar graph, but, to the good side, technically, once 50 consecutive five star category ratings have been received, one goes back to a 5 star rating again....regardless of what they were before!

To the down side, my Communication rating has never been less than 5 stars so it should be showing as 'last 206 Communication ratings were 5 star'.....but as you can see it is stuck on 50! 

But Cor, our assumptions are correct. My Check-in rating did drop to 4.9 after a guest gave me a 4 star, saying the property was hard to find. That was more than 60 guests ago, and once the guest counter reached 50 consecutive 5 stars, I went back up to a 5 rating again.

So Cor, it is just a matter of time and you can bury that bloody 3 star Location rating, unfortunately it will always show on the location graph, but you won't get pinged for it!! 

Cheers......Rob

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Robin4,

The Progress/Performance page statistics are not really relevant. These are just meant for our own reference. That’s why I record my performance in Excel (whatever one may think about Microsoft).

It’s what shows to the prospective guest, what’s really relevant (A guest can’t tell, whether a 5-star rating is actually a 4.75 or a 4.98 rating).

And I know, a few more consecutive 5-stars on Location, and I should be fine again. It’s just a shame, that it seems a part of my earned star-ratings to have been wasted, by a technical glitch.

Ps.

When you reached a 5.0 on Check-In again from a 4.9 in (let’s say) 200 stays. You must have had 10 times a 4-star on Check-In in total in the past. That’s how simple the numbers work. Just go through your history and list them. It may be a bit of work though 😄

Example:

((189 x 5) + (10 x 4)) / 199

Versus

((190 x 5) + (10 x 4)) / 200

And the famous 4/5 Rounding Rule.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cor3

No Cor, that does not work out....it did take a bit of going back through them so you are right there but, through my 52 pages of reviews there are only 2 where I received a less than 5 star for check in.......

Check-in review.png

And this was the only other one Cor.......and that seems to work out, 99% of 200 is....2

silly ratings 4d.png

The ironic thing about that last review Cor, They were a travelling family and took everything they could find with them when they left, even took 5 cakes of soap and chocolates from the restock cupboard......... and yet gave me a 3 star for value!!

So this does not work out by your calculations and once again points to the fact they are trying to work from two different calculation perspectives.

Cheers

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Robin4,

Indeed 2 out of (roughly) 200 would mean 99%, that’s correct.

But it does not entirely work that way.

Rounding in big(ger) numbers is the differentiator (The Whiz-kids in SF know this too)!

Because what is 1 out of 206? (Right! 0.49%; And this rounded to the nearest percentage is: 0%).

So in theory, you could have gotten:

1x 1-Star

1x 2-Star

1x 3-Star

2x 4-Star

201x 5-Star

And your graph will still show: 99% 5-Star and 1% 4-Star

Your average would however be: 4.9466 (Rounded at 1 digit, would be 4.9)

Fortunately, for you it is not that bad.

Basically it is the same difference between the previous Superhost calculation of 80% 5-Star reviews, versus the current average of a 4.8 Star-Rating or higher.

Commonly it will not affect the most of us. Because when guests dinge us. They will typically leave a 4-Star, rather than a 5-Star. So to the most of us – the changed calculation will not make much of a difference (It will, when 4-Stars do become lower than that!)

I will exaggerate significantly in the example below, to make the difference clear:

In the past: 10 Reviews: 8 of them being a 5-Star, and 2 of them being a 1-Star.

You would have been a happy Superhost, until April 2018.

Nowadays, the same example would bring you to: an average of a 4.2 Star-Rating.

I.e.: No more Superhost plus loads of automated warnings about possible automatic suspension of your listing!

In the same example as above, but then: 10 Reviews: 8 of them being a 5-Star, and 2 of them being a 4-Star.

Would lead to 80% 5-Star reviews and a 4.8 Star average (So no difference at all).

Your listings shows a 5-star all-over! So nothing to be really worried about.

When I look at your numbers for Value and Location (These are always the troubled ones).

And I suppose many Superhosts will feel this way, the same as I do.

It may make a little sense to look at these.

Oh, and by the way: When T… or G… comes along, I will try to persuade them to cancel themselves. We can miss them, like toothache 😄