Gift left on front porch

Catherine1671
Level 2
Savannah, GA

Gift left on front porch

As a host is it appropriate to leave fresh danish still in the original sealed container from the store, securely tied in a bag, the bag placed in a box and the box placed in a decorative bag and left on front porch with other items for guests the morning after they arrived?  Guest was also notified via messages that a bag was left for them on the porch which they acknowledged receiving when they woke up.

14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Although the idea of a Danish is nice, I don't know why you would want to use all that packaging  - the sealed container , a bag, a box and then a decorative bag. That's four sets of packaging for just one item 😞

Why not just leave the Danish in the fridge for your guests - much better on the environment and your pocket !!!! @Catherine1671 

The danish was an after thought while shopping for other items.  The four steps of wrapping was to make sure they were secure along with other items and to look like a gift.  However, I do agree with everything you suggested. I am a 3 week in the making host with a lot to learn. Thank you, I am going to implement your suggestion.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3If I left a Danish pastry, however well wrapped up on our front porch, our urban foxes would get it before the guests did. 

Thank you, this is exactly the type of info I need. Catherine

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes that's exactly why I suggested leaving it in the fridge - minus all the extrangeous packaging ! @Rachel0 

@Rachel0 (BTW, you weren't taggable- you don't appear at all among the list of Rachels) - If I left a Danish on the front porch, it would be crawling with ants within 10 minutes, if not carried off by the feral cats or neighborhood dogs 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I've seen Russian dolls with fewer layers on 🙂

Ha ha, just trying to be a good host.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Catherine1671  We have tons of ants in our area, so I would probably never leave any food outside even if it was well wrapped, but I agree about just leaving it in the kitchen or the fridge with a note is a lovely gesture. 

ETA, we often leave something similar for guests usually on their last night, so it goes w/ a thank you card and sometimes a bow...so still looks gifty but not much extra packaging.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Catherine1671 all jokes aside you did a good gesture and I am sure you are a great host. Maybe next time hang it on the door knob, animals couldn't take them, you wouldn't need so much packaging and you wouldn't be disturbing the guests. Even better, as I prefer to do, I leave anything I plan to give them on the table with a welcome card to see it whem they arrive. I like to think of it as a great start to their vacation. 

A gift was left in their bedroom before their arrival as a welcoming gesture as they were celebrating an anniversary,.   I just wanted to do something a little extra after their arrival.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Stayed in several cottages in the Uk and a nice touch from the hosts -  some scones on a stand
with glass lid. Items are kept fresh, no packaging and you can use time and time again.  You can even fill it with fruit. 

@Catherine1671

Perfect all the suggestions are extremely helpful.  Thank you.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would look at something that is local to your area - a biscuit, a cake, a chocolate?