Goldilocks bed hopping

Stacey139
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Goldilocks bed hopping

Good day

Our room sitiuation is this:

1st bedroom double bed - full bath connects to - 2nd bedroom of 2 twins.

We up charge for the 3rd and forth person - more laundry and breakfast.

We have noticed that some couples have used ALL the beds, even for just a SINGLE NIGHT.  As everyone knows, airbnb hosts do a lot of laundry.   I hate to close off the other room it is nice to have space, but what are my options, and yes sucking it up is an option we can deal with if we must 😞

thanks!

34 Replies 34

@Kathie21 I honestly don't see it that way. If I booked a place and paid for 2 persons I wouldn't expect the host to make 4 beds ready. 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sandra856Well I expect to get what has been advertised - to me it's unacceptable to tell me after I've booked that I won't be!  Hosts just need to be clear about exactly what is on offer.

@Kathie21 I just don't see it that way at all. If I wanted 4 beds made I would also think it was reasonable and fair to pay the extra fee for the 3rd and 4th person. 

Have to say that I completely agree with @Sandra247 

my place CAN sleep 10 people, if 2 people book I certainly don't make up 10 beds. I don't think that is a bait and switch, it's just being reasonable.

if @kathie wants a particular bed arrangement then it would be best to ASK a host about that. And if there is a different charge for more than 2 guests then you are possibly taking advantage of what the host expected to provide at that 2 guest price.

and probably most hosts are like @robin that if you tell them that you've booked as 2 people but you'd like to have 2 beds made up then they will probably accommodate you but it'd certainly be considerate to leave a laundry tip, IF your 2 person price was less than 3/4 people

@Kathie21 I like the double listing idea! May try that.

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stacey139   PS It's not really clear from your listing that you have to go through the double room to get to the twin - I read it as being able to get to it from the bathroom (ie landing-bathroom-twin room).  With my ex-fire service hat on, I hope you have very good fire protection & escape measures as that kind of room within a room within a room arrangement is a high risk! (Would not be allowed in a UK rental property without a sprinkler system).

Stacey139
Level 2

I will address this asap, though, there are no locks on the bathroom doors and one window in the smaller room leads to a flat roof.  This is good food for thought, thanks!

Mark1412
Level 5
Michigan, United States

I would change the sheet on every bed wheater is appeared to be used or not.

Maybe they used the bed and just made it up... You wouldn't want to check into a hotel room and wonder if the sheets where freshly laundred or if the previous guest just made up the beds so they appear to be clean.

If the guest have access to it, it should be cleaned after they check-out.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Stacey139 @Sandra856 @Kathie21 @Mark1412 @Susan653 

We have the same set-up, except you don't have to go through either bedroom to get to the other-- and the same thing happens. I considered asking guests not to use more beds than "they paid for" but finally instead raised my minimum price and made the default booking for up to four people. This hasn't seemed to reduce bookings, and nobody has to feel like there's any kind of bait and switch.

We still have an extra person fee for from four to six people for use of the futon in the shared space-- and parties of four or fewer still sometimes unfold and use it even though no bedding is provided. (So I'd be leery of any solution involving leaving beds unmade.) It's a little irritating but infrequent enough that I just suck it up. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Stacey139   I don't know if how I handle the 2 bedroom situation would work in your situation but please feel free to look at my listing to see.  Essentially, I offer a primary guestroom with a queen bed and an attached private bath.  The rate is the same for one or two guests.  Then I have a secondary room with two extra long twin beds to be used ONLY by the same party either as a second room for a party of 2 or for an expanded party of 3 or 4.  If only 2 guests use both rooms, I charge an addition nightly rate for the second room.  If a party of 3 0r 4 book both rooms, the extra guest fee covers the use of the second room.

I am very happy having expanded the options for guest configurations.  I more interesting guests - 2 singles, couples, parent and teenage child,  2 couples, 4 friends...   The Air BNB system does not support automatically paying the additional room fee if there are only 2 guests, but I advise the guest during booking that I will be asking for the fee separately.

Stacey139
Level 2

Thanks I will look at yours. Good info.

s

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Stacey139 

The easiest and most transparent way to advertise your space is with two linked listings.

One wil be for a one bedroom place with one bed, the other will be for 2 bedrooms with 3 beds.

Price accordlingly so that you are paid for 2 people choosing to use 3 beds.

Stacey139
Level 2

thanks, I will look into this

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Stacey139 I have had this happen! We had a couples stay with us and use both king beds in two separate rooms. Not often but a couple of times...

We have also had it the other way too. Two people stayed and slept in the same bed, when we expected them to each take a bedroom... since both were married to other people!... so I guess it has evened out 🙂

Stacey139
Level 2

Ha ha. 

I will suck it up. 😂