Guest I kicked out left hateful and discriminating review. And Airbnb thinks it's completely OK.

Guest I kicked out left hateful and discriminating review. And Airbnb thinks it's completely OK.

Hello all,

TLDR: A guest I kicked out after violating my house rules somehow was able to leave a hateful and discriminating review on my listing. And Airbnb finds it's completely ok.

The long version:  My wife and I recently listed one of the rooms in our house on Airbnb. The guest "V" booked for a week and showed up on the check in date. My wife greeted him after he arrived while I was away traveling. When I came back 2 days later, she showed me all the texts that V had sent to my wife of him being very demanding asking things that weren't listed in our listing such as "coffee, lotion, iron, etc.."( in a very demanding tone). We also noticed V left a mass in the bathroom where there are urine stains all over the floor and also around the toilet (Not in there where they suppose to be). Not only the urine odor were all over the place, we also found out that there are strong cigarettes odors inside his room, and there were empty cigarettes packs everywhere on the table, inside the chest drawer and in the trash can. I was a smoker before, and I know the differences in smells when people smoked inside and the smell they bring back to the house after smoking outside.

I cleaned the mass in the bathroom and opened the window in his room, later that day I asked him if he has been smoking inside. Although he said no, but i highly doubt it. I told him to keep the restroom clean and the window open when he leaves during the day. fast forward to midnight, he went outside to smoke several times around 2 am and the noise woke up my wife.

On the next day, he left a similar mass in the restroom (smaller urine stains again, i say smaller because its only been a night since I cleaned them) and I tried to talk to him again about the bathroom and to try to convince him to keep the smoking to a minimum at night because we are really not appreciate it to be waking up by tenants sneaking out to smoking in the middle of the night. (I did tried to call Airbnb to remove him by violating the non smoking rule earlier, but I never heard back from it. So i figure I will just have to stick with him for the next 2 days.) He then turned back to me and complained that there are odors in his restroom and wanted me to clean it again for him. And this was where I am triggered because the odor came from his own piss! I finally had it enough and asked him to leave, called Airbnb again and thanks to god they were able to figure it out and removed him.

On the other side, V called Airbnb as well and started to message us in the Airbnb app and putting out all kinds of lies. He was being very aggressive and started calling us names and accuse us being liars which I have no idea why. Airbnb has filters in their app, so i don't know what he really called me. He then started yelling in frond of my face, and threatened my wife and my 6 month baby who was asleep downstairs at the time, and also trying to find every excuses he could think of to refuse to leave. He also mentioned that our dog tried to bite him during the day where as the dog was with my wife the whole day at work. Our dog is a 2 years old whippet (a very calm and easy going breed, pretty much a median sized greyhound, which is also a coach potato who sleeps 20 hours a day) that never bite and even barked to anyone in his life. I think he was doing this to try to get all his money back from the reservation. At one point he even wanted to stay for the night for free. But Airbnb decided to modified his reservation and sent him elsewhere for his last two days, they even refunded him the difference despite of him violating my house rules first. (Also the Case Manager stated that the guest won't be able to leave us an review due the cancelation, even if he did Airbnb will be able to remove it. But more to this later...)

And it was not over, although he did left my house, he stayed in his car for a hour which parked in front of my house. It was very late at night, and I was afraid if the guy was going to sleep in the car. I had to call the case manager from Airbnb again to get him removed too, or else I was ready to call the police.

At last, we are glad that he's gone and we don't have to put up with his bs anymore. But in that afternoon, I was surprised that he was able to leave an review under our listing which I found is very hateful and discriminating, and also full of lies. I cannot believe Airbnb would allow him posting such comments after being kicked out from my house by violating my house rule.

Now the next thing I need to do it to try to let Airbnb remove the hateful comments from him and to see if can get the cigarettes smells out of my room. I may end up hiring professionals to do the job if I can't get rid of them myself, but I have read somewhere that the guest and Airbnb will not pay or reimburse the costs if there was no security deposit in the reservation.

Here is the review he left and my wife's response:

https://ibb.co/SrxY21H

Here are some chats between him and my wife before I was home.

https://ibb.co/m8yZM5X

https://ibb.co/GRcrckX

https://ibb.co/6cQdm1j

Here are the chats between the three of us after I asked him to leave.

https://ibb.co/xHQSJ70

https://ibb.co/sy7WwNG

https://ibb.co/bQXBFdx

https://ibb.co/SXZkgd9

https://ibb.co/nk25pmX

https://ibb.co/S0GJY4G

My comments to his feedback:

We have normal sized toilet, the guy seems about 200 lbs but either way that doesn't justify him not peeing inside the toilet. He's old enough to not let anyone teach him how to piss.

The touch pad smart lock he mentioned is brand new, I installed it two days prior to his arrival. He was the only one using it, my wife and I usually go through the garage because we park our cars there.

We are using two accounts, I am the co-host of the listing and my wife is the primary host. He either simply can't tell the difference in our profile photo or just being an racist by mocking our names.

The location complain is out of our control. The data was taken from google maps without accounting any traffic. If you would include the traffic during rush hour in Bay Area then I don't know what to say.

Insulting on people's accent and their culture doesn't make him any better. Treating people this way won't return him any favor and he definitely shouldn't be expecting any respect back from us. I am surprised that Airbnb would allow such comments to exist without taking any actions.

More rant:

We were super-host 2 years ago, just recently picked up Airbnb again. Our new house is only 15 years old and it was remodeled 2 years ago. There are no smells whatsoever and if we cook we always keep the kitchen door closed. And btw we don't eat rotten fish!

Airbnb will be doing nothing:

After 2 days of silence, I had to call in to check on the status of my ticket, then I was able to get in touch with a Case Manager Jerry discuss about my case. It appeared to me that Jerry had 0 zero knowledge of my case and I had to explain to him the whole situation again. Oddly enough, he did not find the review aggressive, hateful, nor being discriminating in any ways, and thus he wouldn't do anything to the comment and the rate. He couldn't even explain to me how he end up with this decision. And he also said that the guest have every right to leave a review as long as he stayed in my listing, exaggerate or not, and doesn't matter the fact he was being kicked out after violating my house rules. The call went on about 30 minutes, and I was put on hold for several times for no reasons and even without being noticed before hand. A lot of my questions were simply ignored during the call and I think I was just put on mute for the most of the time. (He did not response, and for several times I thought I was disconnected) The guy just didn't want to listen and speak to me! Then when I asked Jerry if he could direct my call to someone else or perhaps a supervisor of his, guess what! Jerry just hang up the phone and left me in a void.

Now this leaves me a whole different level of problems I have to deal with. I am shocked that Airbnb would have such poor customer services. Although they were able to escalate my ticket to a higher level department after I called in a second time, who knows what I will end up with. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my story, and apologize for any grammar mistakes as English is my not my first language. I hope you guys as hosts would never have to experience the nightmare we just gone through!

24 Replies 24

Aww, that’s not fair. I can think of a lot of reasons someone might host with children in the house. We don’t know what precautions are taken. Try not to judge. Some people don’t automatically think ill of others or perceive them as dangerous.

It’s unfortunate, but I’ve noticed a lot of problems seem to stem from private room rentals as opposed to entire place. Do the lower rates may attract more undesirable people?  I wouldn’t worry too much about the review, potential guests can tell when there’s a legitimate gripe and when someone is disgruntled. 

@Michelle-and-Jason0   Like @Patricia55 , my impression is the exact opposite. I've been following this forum for almost 2 years, and the majority of horror stories I read from hosts here concern "entire home" listings. Guests can't cause thousands of dollars worth of damage when renting a private room in the host's home, they can't manage to sneak in extra people without the host knowing, they can't throw parties with a cast of hundreds. There will be the odd guest who doesn't understand or care how to be respectful in a shared home space, and doesn't amend their behavior when it's pointed out by the host, or a guest who is mentally unbalanced or perhaps threatening, but I think those are the exception, not the rule.

I can only judge by my own experience of hosting a private room/bath in my home. In almost 3 years of hosting, I've never had any guest issue that made it necessary to involve Airbnb, only 1 guest who left her room a mess, and one who brought someone back to the room for the night after I'd gone to bed. But I told her that wasn't allowed, she apologized and didn't do it again, and the rest of her stay was pleasant for both of us. All of my guests have been decent, reasonable people and almost all have been truly lovely.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Word!

I’ve been wrong before! 🙂 My experience has been limited to anecdotes from a handful of local hosts. New Orleans just passed laws stating homes must be owner-occupied for STR. There are a lot of “shotgun doubles” here, basically duplexes, where people live on one side and lease the other. I can see how being an absentee owner could lead to big trouble! 

Patricia55
Level 10

@Michelle-and-Jason0 

"It’s unfortunate, but I’ve noticed a lot of problems seem to stem from private room rentals as opposed to entire place."

It's interesting you say that, but I've always thought it was the opposite!  Ah, I guess we'll never know, unless Airbnb provide the statistics... unlikely 😉

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Patricia55 

I think mainly because guests do not read the listing properly. Also, shared accommodations attracts budget friendly guests who can have an interesting definition on what they perceive to be good value.

Higher income guests always book non shared homes. Such guests are usually more educated and a higher class of individual but that doesn't mean such people can't be fussy. In fact, wealthier people/guests can be very fussy as well however they are less likely to act like barbarians and break common house rules like smoking inside a home. They are also less likely to spend much of their vacation time raising frivolous complaints because such obsessive compulsive behaviour is not conducive to generating wealth. In other words, they have bigger fish to fry then to be worried about the little things. There is no perfect category of guest, each level has their own issues but there is a lesser of two evils.

Patricia55
Level 10

@Sean433 

Hmm, interesting... I don't quite know where to start to disagree with you, lol! OK, here's a wee fact: for a period of time, most of our guests either had a PhD or were working towards one... to the point where we thought we'd accidentally put up a sign saying “PhDs only!” (We are simpletons compared with our guests.) We share our home and provide reasonably budget-friendly accommodation and have had nowt but decent people. (Touch wood!) I guess your definition of “a higher class of individual” is different to mine.

I live in Zurich, would be curious to see if any other accommodations get ranked 5 for value for $$ since it is so $$$$ here. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean433   "Higher income guests always book non shared homes." Where do you get this information? "Always" is a sweeping generality. I have a friend who lists a suite in her older, eclectic, home. She was surprised one day when greeting her guest on arival to see that he had pulled up in a brand new Lexus. She asked jokingly "Jeez, why'd you book my place? There's high-end hotels in town, you know." He laughed, said he travelled on business a lot and preferred to stay in peoples' personal homes than impersonal apartments or hotels.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean433  Similar to @Patricia55 , I have hosted, in my budget-priced private room, a teacher's union rep, a university professor, a high school administrator, successful business people, and many others with well-paying jobs. Just because someone can afford to book a "entire place" listing, doesn't mean that's what's important to them. Many people, no matter what their economic bracket, have simple accomodation requirements (clean, comfortable and quiet) and actually enjoy the personal interaction of staying in a host's home and getting the low-down firsthand on the area, cool places to go that only a local would know about, and if they are travelling alone and are sociable people, appreciate having conversations over coffee or a bottle of wine with their host.