Guest is a company booking for the employee and employee overstayed

G-C-R-M0
Level 7
California, United States

Guest is a company booking for the employee and employee overstayed

Hello,

Recently I ran into an issue with guest booking for a number of their employees. The employees overstayed (albeit the place is abandoned, with only their belongings left) and per policy I'm to charge late check-out fee. However, the guest (the employer) said they couldn't see the request sent via resolution center, which is odd. 
What's more odd, the employer (the registered guest) stopped getting in touch with me after a couple of correspondence stating they approved the additional fee (but the case/resolution is still open, not paid).

The late check-out became worse because now it's not just 2-3 hrs later than the 11 AM check-out time, but it's actually much longer (overnight) and I have no other choice than to let our cleaner go in and remove their belongings, and put them in storage.

What can a host do in this situation?
Should I charge another day instead of just late check-out? Our cleaner already went there and actually had to come back because they thought it was the wrong day/time. This also costs us because of rescheduling and extra trip.
I feel that the employer is somehow taking advantage of this situation and used our place as luggage storage for the extra night/day. What do you guys think?

13 Replies 13
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@G-C-R-M0 

The airbnb terms are clear about it:

https://www.airbnb.com/terms  (section 8.2.2)

(To charge 2 times the normal nightly fee)

best regards,

Emiel

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 - Getting an Oops! 404.... Check link?

- Can we all claim x2 for late check outs, or is it a special thing hosts have to check somewhere?

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

I was surprised by this too, but looks like it's legit, @Helen350 .

See the corrected link below.

However, not sure how airbnb will enforce this, and whether they are willing to enforce it or not, given they are trying to expand and get more guests/incomes/users, and as they are prepping the company stock to go public in 2020.

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Emiel1  - Bedankt!

I too got a 404 not found.  Are you sure this is reinforce-able? AirBnb often says one thing and does another, to the advantage of the guests, more than hosts.

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

Ugh, Actually I think Emiel's link just had a couple of bad characters at the end. It's the same link: https://www.airbnb.com/terms

For the benefit of others, here's section 8.2.2 (Thanks again @Emiel1 !!!):

"8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees"). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. If you Overstay at an Accommodation, you authorize Airbnb (via Airbnb Payments) to charge you to collect Overstay Fees. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay."

Still, question remains whether this can be really reinforced by AirBNB.
Plus in this case, the employer (guest who booked) could easily say they didn't actually stay in the place, just us holding their luggage for the night. What to do in that case?

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@G-C-R-M0 

You have his luggage in storage. 

When he comes for it, insist his employer accept the late charge.

Possession is 9/10s of the law...

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

Thanks @Paul154 ! Yes, that's what I am doing. I am just not sure in this case if I could charge a whole day (considered late check-out), or should it still be "luggage storage"?
The guests could easily say it's just a luggage, why are you charging me a whole nightly fee (or up to 2 times according to those terms above).

@G-C-R-M0   "Luggage storage" is when the guests pack up all their belongings and obtain your permission to store them in a specified place.

"Overstay" is when the space remains occupied without your permission. Whether it's occupied by people or luggage is beside the point. Especially if they still have your keys or access to the property. This is impacting the potential for the space to be inhabited by other guests, and you are supposed to be compensated appropriately.

I agree with @Paul154 , keep a running tab and demand immediate payment as a condition for returning the luggage.

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

Thanks @Anonymous . That makes a good argument.

However, they actually couldn't access the space anymore because the key code expires at 11 AM.   

I requested just a fraction of nightly fee for late check-out before I created a new key code, even though they did end up leaving the luggage overnight.  Next time I know better.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@G-C-R-M0  you shouldn't really be accepting third party bookings as it is against Airbnb's T&Cs. Going forward do advise those making third party booking that they need to set up an 'Airbnb business' account and register their company to book on behalf of their employees. The employer is not the registered guest. This needs to be the people who are actually staying.

I am not sure legally you can hold their luggage as a ransom for payment.

As you have requested the funds, without success,  then you will need to follow up through airbnb and ask them to pursue for you.

G-C-R-M0
Level 7

@Helen3 - I wasn't even aware there is such a thing as airbnb business account. Thanks!

For that to happen, I guess the company rep has to do this? I think in this case unfortunately it's a small company, so the person who did it wasn't a "rep", rather she was one of the co-workers.
Actually I initially thought it was actually a very small independent business but later I learned it to be a bit bigger than small business, so a 50-person company or so.

Where can I get more info about this, so I can direct such booking? I have another one coming up in which the HR rep is actually booking for the employees.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have a look at the Airbnb Help Centre and search Airbnb for Work @G-C-R-M0 the help centre is a great resource for the basics around managing your Airbnb business.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It might be useful for you to become aquainted with the business account policies since your place might be attractive to the business world.  Go to the Help Center and search for articles on business accounts.  You will see what you need to confirm if there is a third party booking.