Guest lied about house

Casey58
Level 2
Daytona Beach, FL

Guest lied about house

People reserved out house for 6 nights. When they arrived thay came into the house and spent there one minute, Then she called me and said that house smells with something like mold or moisture or dogs. We have never had any pets in the house and owner cleans her house very thorughly. Previous guests always said that everything was very clean in our house. So she said that they have another accomodation and instead of cancellation altered her reservation to one night with lower price. I didn't approve this request. 

Airbnb case manager suggested me to have someone to go to the house and check for smell. I asked my neighbour and she confirmed that there was no smell like that! I explained everything to case manager. But in one day he altered the reservation as guest wanted.

I think its not fair cause there was nothing wrong with the house and they just made up unprovable accusation. 

I have rejected three reservation requests for this weekend because of her reservation. I thought that commitment of either of the parties is protected by airbnb rules. I didn't break my commitment I don't see any reason for such a decision. 

3 Replies 3

Welcome to airbnb.  

Shifting rental business as much as possible away from the airbnb platform is a good idea.

Maureen242
Level 2
Geraldton, Australia

TOUR GUIDE LIES     I can not believe how this can happen.   it is out right theft.     A tour guide books my home for 7 days.   Before he enters my home he tells me his guests are super rich, super wealthy and will only stay at posh places.   My place is suitable for families.   Basically he said his guests wouldnt be happy here - before he even opened the front door.

Case isnt closed yet.   Guest complains house is dirty.  (Like hell it was)

IT IS EXTREMELY OBVIOUS TOUR GUIDE WANTS FULL REFUND AND WILL LIE TO GET IT.

MY SETTINGS ARE ON STRICT - WHICH IS SEEMS MEANS NOTHING AT ALL. 

PAYOUT IS FROZEN.     IF THIS PAYOUT ISNT PROCESSED IT IS OUTRIGHT THEFT

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Please don't accept third party bookings @Maureen242   they are against Airbnb's t&C's and sadly as you have seen can lead to problems.

Hopefully you kept communication on Airbnb so it will show the 'tour guide' made this comment before visiting the listing .

Have you spoken to Airbnb yet about this situation?

Has the third party booker cancelled the booking?

In your shoes I would write back to the tour guide and say the listing is as described and that if he wants to cancel Airbnb will process his cancellation under the policy he booked under and to speak to them with any queries relating to his cancellation.