Guest overstayed for another 2 hours

Joe492
Level 4
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Guest overstayed for another 2 hours

I hosted this guest yesterday, he is first time in airbnb, my check in time is 7pm and check out at 4pm. I inform him in the morning about the check out time and told him to put the key in the lockbox. I told him clearly check out time is 4pm or earlier, then i received his txt on 4.05pm, he told me that he will leave at 6pm. Not asking but inform me. 

I did not argue with him or ask him to leave my house, but what can i do? To charge him overstay? In the end, I only have one hour to clean my place before next guest.

5 Replies 5

@Joe492 Keep the conversation within Airbnb messages.

If the guest  just texted you over phone, reply by over Airbnb

something like this:

You just informed me of a 2H late checkout.

We are happy to help you to store your luggage

but we need to prepare the room for another guest checking in shortly.

Thanks for understanding, xxxx

Good luck...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joe492  In the future, remember the saying that people can only take advantage of you if you allow them to. @Giedre-and-Andre0's  sample message is a good one. When guests tell  you how it's going to be instead of asking politely if something would be possible, you have to put on your "professional" hat. "No, I'm sorry, that won't be possible, check out time is non-negotiable, we need time to clean for tonight's guest." "No, I can appreciate that you would like to have a place to cook, but as is evident in my listing description, I don't offer kitchen access." "No, I'm sorry, we can't make an exception for your dog, we have a no pets policy so that guests who may be allergic can book with us without having issues."

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Joe492, it would have been best if you'd told him that checkout time is 4pm and asked him to leave when he sent you the message. Anyway, I would reflect this in his review - state that the guest checked out 2 hours late without asking and mark him down on communication and observation of house rules.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Time for you to leave a note in your rules explaining why checking out by the check-out time is so important. You have to prep the room for the next guest! Sometimes there's smells in the room that need the full 3 hours to air out. You also need time for the bathroom to dry out after being moped.

Rufina2
Level 2
Ocho Rios, JM

@Joe492 When I have guests checking in on the same day another set is checking out, I usually send a message stating the following;

1. We hope you have been enjoying your stay. (Usually personalized based on previous interaction with the guest)

2. Check-out is at X time.

3. We facilitate late check-out when possible, however we have guests checking in tomorrow at X time and we will need  time to prepare for their arrival.

4. The house keeper will arrive at X time. 

So far, I have never had guests who stay past check-out without my permission.