Guest profiles

Debbie189
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Guest profiles

Hi all, I have a guest who wants to book with me. When I go to their profile there is nothing written there. Surely there should be a write up about them? I see Airbnb says that I will only see their photo once they have booked, but surely they should have a write up on their profile. Am I right? Many thanks

18 Replies 18
Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Debbie189   Welcome to the new ideas of Airbnb. 😕

No, they are not being required to write anything. So some of the new users just aren't interested in the community aspect of home sharing. It is now up to the host to ask for any information you might deem necessary. Then add into it that you won't see a picture until after they book, assuming that they have one of themselves and not their dog. It makes it hard to get a feel for a potential guest. 

Good luck!!

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Debbie189   welcome to the club, Debbie.  I think the great majority of us hosts feel the same-yet Airbnb chooses not to listen to us.   In response to their biased and guest-centered policies I have found myself declining more and more reservations.   These are our homes we are talking about; I want to know as much as possible about the person(s) who is requesting to stay.  It should be mandatory for users to have a complete profile with a little information about themselves, plus a good, recognizable profile pic(not of their dog).   Airbnb requires all of the aforementioned from us hosts--why not from guests?

I absolutely agree. Same time I don't see a change is coming. This kind of 'hit and run' profiles are not just boosting insecurity for hosts but also a potential threat for ruining the hosts reputation eg. by trashing the place and leaving 1 star review then say bye and create new profile. This of course is not good for airbnb either, therefore exists an option to let your place booked only by ID verified members, which on the other hand leads to major drop in number of guests on that listing. Allowance of  those profiles leads to significant rise in bookings. I have only one listing which is my home. For airbnb ... do the math 😞 Hope i am not right and this will change soon.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Sigh.. it's really should be that simple, @Debbie189 . Sadly, it isn't.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Debbie189  Perhaps because I am a trained psychotherapist (retired),  I am more focussed on how a potential guest responds to my questions than any profile description or even profile picture.  I  can tell if a guest is interested in participating in the shared living economy or is using the Air BNB system to find cheap accommodations.  Since I do use Instant Book and require a host recommendation for the guest to book, I have some comfort in the review system.  Granted there is no fool proof way to vet potential guests but as a host you can take some steps to increase the odds of a good host/guest experience. 

Myra7
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Yes I too like the back and forth of questions....usually get a good feel of the guest from this. Also I agree always useful to look at their reviews and go deeper and look at who has reviewed them.

@Debbie189  I agree with @Linda108  that the guest's correspondence should yield a better indication of their suitability than their profile or photo, or even their reviews. I don't put any faith in the review system, as my most horrific guests have been well-reviewed. (I do cross-reference to see how the guest reviewed their past hosts).

It's not unreasonable to have doubts about a guest who didn't take the time to complete a profile, especially if you're an in-home host. But on the other hand, the internet is cluttered with quasi-social platforms that require visible user profiles, and I can't blame someone with a private disposition for not wanting to put much about themselves out there when they just need a place to sleep.

If it helps make a decision, ask a couple follow-up questions about relevant details and see how the dialogue goes.

Ellen23
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

This is just one more slap in the face to hosts. I was going to give Airbnb another chance this summer, but I think I’m done. They’ve become so greedy and ridiculous. They’ve completely forgotten where they came from. Why should I not be able to see reviews of potential guests? Why should I not be able to see info about them when I am deciding whether to let them stay in MY HOUSE with me?! It’s absurd! I’ve had it with all of these changes that screw over hosts!!!

Alan-and-Angie0
Level 2
Bowmanville, Canada

I have just had exactly the same thing.  I thought it was a rule that guests must complete a profile. This guest didn't even attach a message to his booking request.  How can we be epected to let total starngers stay in our homes without knowing something about them?

Debbie422
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

I'm dealing with the same thing! I'm a single woman, I need to know who is staying in my home with me! I just had a guest ask for a quote to stay a month and she has NO profile. What? Yeah, not happening unless that changes.

I agree that the changes that AirBNB have implemented are a slap in the face to the hosts that supply the homes for them to make money. They certainly had more respect for their hosts 4 years ago when I started! Even a year ago was better. On top of that, guests seem to be demanding and expecting a lot more. I live in a highly desirable vacation area in Southern California, minutes from multiple beaches and attractions. A regular hotel here would cost upwards of $300 a night. I'm becoming more and more frustrated with the entire situation.

I now have it in my house rules that they are required to send a head and shoulders photo. Also that they provide me with a profile. Airbnb I believe could not penalise me for cancelling someone who doesn't provide that information as guests are required to agree with house rules before booking. I too think this Airbnb change is not a good one but Ive learnt to always find ways around their  policies that don't suit me, particularly ones related to my security. .

Cate42
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Thanks Myra for this tip I was just searching this topic as I have had a run of enquiries with no/low details & no/low reviews and agree with sentiments about what I need to know as a host, risk & security in my home. Will take up your idea in my  new rules section. Thanks Cate

Myra7
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

I now have it in my house rules that they are required to send a head and shoulders photo. Also that they provide me with a profile. Airbnb I believe could not penalise me for cancelling someone who doesn't provide that information as guests are required to agree with house rules before booking. I too think this Airbnb change is not a good one but Ive learnt to always find ways around their  policies that don't suit me, particularly ones related to my security. .

Good idea.