Guest took a towel, how do I review?

Teresa287
Level 2
South Africa

Guest took a towel, how do I review?

When my guests left yesterday, I noticed that there was a towel missing, I sent her a message asking if she'd taken it in error, as I couldn't imagine that someone would steal a towel! She responded that they had taken it to the beach then forgotten it in their bag.  That's it! I would have expected her to offer to pay for it.  Bottom line, do I mention this in my review or do I simply drop it? Ask them to pay?  Please help as I haven't left a review yet. Thanks

10 Replies 10
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Teresa287  to be honest, I wouldn't worry about it myself.  Towels get damaged, lost, shredded... ultimately they have a useful life.  How new was the towel?  If it has done it's time, then I would mentally thank it for it's service and wish the towel all the best with it's new owner.

Cost of a towel over the course of x bookings, uses, etc = penny's usually.

Thanks Ben, it was  a new towel but I agree, not worth making a big issue out of it

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Teresa287  If you ask for compensation without the guest voulounteering, you are almost guaranteed a bad review.  Not worth it.  Unless you run a 5***** place with prices to match, expensive towels are not really worthwhile to offer in a rental.  

Perhaps leave a note asking guests not to take the towels to the beach.  

@Teresa287 

Considering the guest didn't offer to pay for the towel, I agree with @Marit-Anne0  and @Ben551  that asking for payment will most likely lead to a bad review so it probably is better to let it go this time. 

I host a lot of long-term guests and inform them that the towels in the bathroom are for "at home" use only. If they need a towel for the gym or to take on a short weekend trip, they should let me know and I will lend them one more appropriate than my nice guest towels.

Since you are near the beach, maybe consider providing a few separate "beach towels" (like they do at resorts) to keep your nice guest towels safe? 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Teresa287 .

I agree with @Ben551  & @Marit-Anne0, only buy your consumable linens when on special, and add a little to the nightly rate to reduce these overheads. The important word here is consumable. 

I’ve had towels ruined by hair bleach, self tanning products etc, and towels taken. I’ve had the sheets ruined and have never charged a guest, yet!

It is a rarity for a guest to deliberately take something. But always worth checking on prior reviews if something is mentioned. If so, be proactive.....

I’ve had guests accidentally leave towels in the rental car when returning it to the airport! And a deliberate “loss” of items from a couple of guests. Noting, these entitled guests are most likely to deny and give you a bad review. If an expensive piece of bric a brac, then claim immediately and review accordingly. (Ensure photos are available pre check-in, for documentation)

The average guest is truly great, and we all make mistakes. It annoys us as hosts, but move forward and watch for the next specials or bargains... 

If not done already, consider placing in your guest folder, and on your online listing, that all items missing or damaged will be charged to the booking guest; whether you follow through or not, gives you that option. You could also have a departure checklist mentioning towels and other linen. 

Totally your choice....

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

If you want a good review just reply and say:  "ok no worries, hope you had a good time at the beach.  I'll just get another towel, don't bother to mail it back to me!  Hope you'll come and stay with me again, you were great guests."

At least she 'confessed'!

A good review is worth far more than the cost of that towel.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Teresa287  No, don't mention small annoyances in a review, those things are just the cost of doing business. 

As I live in a beach town, I do mention in my listing for guests to please provide their own beach towel, that house towels aren't to be taken out of the house. I have a couple of not so pristine beach towels to loan to guest if they forget, or couldn't fit one in their luggage. But I decided not to just provide beach towels to all the guests because those do end up getting left behind, slung over the back of a beach restaurant chair and forgotten, etc, and I don't want the expense of constantly replacing them.

Teresa287
Level 2
South Africa

Thank you everyone for your advice.  I think that I shall leave beach towels in the cottage in future - it isn't as expensive if they go missing!  Also, I agree, we shouldn't really sweat the small stuff! Thanks again for taking the interest to reply, I appreciate it.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Teresa287 

I have a different opinion! Forgetting the towel would not be an issue. No big deal, it happens, move on.

I do have an issue with the way your guest responded. No apology? No offer to pay or return? I know it's a small thing, but that would irk me. If that happened to me and the guest offered to pay or return, I'd likely say don't worry about it. But they should at least make that offer as it's the decent thing to do.

I agree Suzanne, I told her in the private feedback that I was disappointed that she hadn't offered to pay for it!.  Thanks for your interest