Guest wants a 10pm -1am checkin

Vin2
Level 2
Ogden, UT

Guest wants a 10pm -1am checkin

I have a guest that used instant book for one guest for one night, they are coming during a weekday, they clicked and agreed to my terms meaning: House Rules No smoking Not suitable for pets No parties or events Not safe or suitable for infants (Under 2 years) Check-in time is 4PM - 9PM. It is clearly stated in that part of my listing over 3-4 times, either people can't read or they just want an acception. As for my listing its a spare room in my home, and I only greet my guest to be let in, there's no lockbox or anything like that because I do not want to have potentioal problems with that. My issue is that if this guest does not respond to my messages, should I just cancel their reservation? or do what? And anytime it seems that the guest fowls up its the host problem, as to when they cannot read or when they choose not to pay attention to details, I've been burned by guest not reading through anything but any time theirs a consiquence on them it falls back on to me, to me this is very frustrating, why the blame going immeadtly to the host and the guest takes no responisbility? 

Be nice be courteous and neat. Other than that we will be just fine. Also please note the check in time is between 4PM- 9PM please abide by this if at all possible, Please let me know in your booking notes what time you intend on checking in. I am asking for this because we both work and have to be in bed by 9:30PM and also because a noise ordinance for the city. Also must park in guest parking only, please ask if you cannot find it, also covered and numbered parking stalls are not to park in.

You also acknowledge:
Must climb stairs - 14 Steps
Pet(s) live on property - Cloe (dog) Greyson (cat)
Some spaces are shared - Restroom(s), Living room, kitchen
Amenity limitations - Must park in guest parking only, do not park in covered stalls, or numbered stalls.
House Manual

Private room. Upstairs on the right tv bed cable shower and so on. Also be aware that you must park in guest parking only, you will be towed if you park in a covered stall or a numbered stall. Cat Greyson and dog cloe. If you need anything such as water, your welcome to get a cup from my kitchen or I can get you a bottle of water, if there's anything that is not clean to your satisfaction, you need to communicate that to me, I cannot guess what you need. Please ask for things if you don't know do not be afraid to ask I will not say no too often. Please be mindful of the checkin times we both work early morning jobs the latest check in on weekdays is 9 pm any time after that please book other accommodations .

5 Replies 5
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Vin2 If you can't accomodate their checkin time, and it's clearly outside of your posted checkin times, I would contact Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking. Because it's an instant book and the guest has already stated that they will be breaking one of your rules, you can ask Airbnb to cancel with no penalty to you: just make sure you do it through an Airbnb agent, not on your own.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2022/how-do-penalty-free-cancellations-work-for-instant-book-host...

Vin2
Level 2
Ogden, UT

@Alexandra316 thanks that helps a ton! I'll contact them today if this guest does not respond. 

@Vin2 you can list your acceptable check-in hours a hundred times in your description and you will still have people wanting to check outside the stated times.

It's one of the reasons we set things up for self-service check-in.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Vin2

Yes @Matthew285 is right. They will still ask.

I put on my listing that there is a fee for late check in. I've only charged it once so far, but the guest was happy to pay as it wasn't a surprise. Going forward for future guests, if you're happy to wait up late for a guest as long as you're compensated, add a late check in fee to your listing. If they don't want to pay it, ask Airbnb to cancel the booking for you as @Alexandra316 suggests.

Madison17
Level 2
Charleston, SC

I agree with Matthew, this too is why we got an electronic lock with a keypad. I'd highly suggest looking into getting one so you can avoid situations like this moving forward and make the overall space you're renting out that's available as easy and convenient as possible for both you, and your guests. (: 

We just got this new lock a couple months back and absolutely love it! It syncs directly to my AirBNB calendar, sends guests emails with key code and instructions as soon as they book a stay, enables codes at time of check in and disables codes at time of check out (and accurately lol), and auto updates itself for me. I don't have to do a thing or have to worry about keys or anything myself, it's awesome. 

Here's a link to check it out, I highly recommend it! 

https://www.amazon.com/AirLocking-Smart-Lock-for-AirBNB/dp/B0759NPC5Y/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=airloc...