Guest wants to cut a day last minute

Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

Guest wants to cut a day last minute

I have a guest arriving today who deleted a person from his reservation due to illness and also now wants to cut a day from his reservation, which will obviously get me less money. They were due to leave on the 2nd and I have another guest coming in on the 2nd. I will be away, but I have arranged for cleaning and turn over in my abscence. There is no way I can fill this other day on such short notice, and even if I could, I'm not sure I can arrange to have it turned over. I'm new so I'm not quite sure how to handle this. Any ideas?

5 Replies 5
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I would let them change the reservation and credit them for the day, personally, but it's your choice: it's really a judgement call on your part. You could also offer them a partial refund for the day they're cancelling (like maybe 50%). You're keeping most of the booking, so that's a positive. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

You don't have to agree to any alteration of the reservation, @Michelle-and-Ray0. If I were you, I would accept maybe removing the other guest, but I would not accept shortening of their stay. 

Earlier today I received a cancellation for January 1, but the guest only politely apologised, no talking about any refund. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

He hasn't specifically asked for a refund and I haven't answered. I did remove the other guest because the possibility of them coming or not was raised beforehand and I did say I would remove anyone not coming, because he specifically asked about it. It was rather silly, really, since I only charge $6/day per extra guest, so I can only assume he will ask to be credited the extra day as well.

Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

This is what I got right after they arrived:
"Hi we have arrived. Are we able to refund the last day? Thanks"
And this is what I wrote:

"Hi! Welcome to Kimberley!
Unfortunately, at this late date your reservation cannot be changed for a refund as I will be unable to rebook the room for that date. You are welcome to still stay through to the 2nd, however and we do hope you enjoy your stay in Kimberley. If there is anything you need, please do let us know.
Michelle"

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Beautifully put @Michelle-and-Ray0.