Guest with fungal infection showing up at doorstep

Kevina0
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

Guest with fungal infection showing up at doorstep

Hello all,

I am in need of some advice/tips.

I opened the door to a guest, who was 2 hrs late for check in, and when he appeared at the door he had the driest, scaliest, flaky skin with bright red patches all over.

Being polite and courteous as always, i enquired what his condition was while i took him on the tour of the flat. He says it's just dry skin. And that he didn't have any meds for it.

A few days into his 10 day stay, I notice that the red patches have spread even more and he is now ithcing like mad. So i told him to visit the pharmacy next door, i took him there and imagine my horror when we r told that it's fungal and can be contagious!!!

I am not mean enough to kick him out and get airbnb to get him new accomodation on the basis of the skin condition, but i am really concerned that if i dont, i'm putting myself and my future guests at risk too.

I have purchased anti-bacterial laundry detergent and other cleaning products.
How would have other hosts dealt with that?
Or maybe i am just being overly paranoid?!

Kevina
7 Replies 7
Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

I hope you have mattress covers. This is a good reason to have them. Personally, I would toss any linens and towels he used. Even with antibacterial soap and detergent, germs can survive, especially in thick materials like towels. 

Kevina0
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

Hi Eileen,

Yes I have waterproof mattress covers. The towel I will dispose of, it has had a good run but for the sheets, i will have to save them, they are one of my favourites!:-(
Bleach and detol antibacterial detergent will be ised on it.
I have emailed airbnb this morning to ask for advice.
Thank you for your help 🙂
Brittany1
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kevina0

YIKES!

Hopefully your towels and linens are white. Then you can just use bleach! If hospitals don't have to throw away their linens either do you. But I agree with @Eileen4 that anti-bacterial detergent isn't enough. I would bleach everything in the apartment or use some other anti-bacterial, heavy duty cleaner. Don't throw things away unless you are planning to take from the guests security deposit (which is also an option). Might be worth talking with Airbnb about this one. They might have a way of handling infectious illnesses in guests.

Kevina0
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Yes I will be using antibac wipes on furniture etc, and bleach as well on the bedsheets but i will get rid of the towel. I like the bedsheets, ther r one of my favourite.

I have emailed airbnb this morning with the issue. And if they dont come back with anything by afternoon, i will ring them. I am
Worried, as u can imagine!!

There are heavy-duty anti-bacterial wipes that you can get to wipe down the furniture. I would also vacuum up very carefully and then dispose of the vacuum bag. Most of what counts as dust is actually shed skin cells, so be careful with that too.

And good grief, did this man not know there was something seriously wrong with him? 

Hope I didn't add to your worry! I do think that a thorough clean-up and wipe down is in order, but you *do* sound like you've got the situation well in hand. 

Kevina0
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

@ eileen
Not more worried than i already was! 🙂

I have to say though, airbnb were brilliant! They totally understood the issue (they had to get back to me cos the agent had never encountered such issues in his 2 yrs of working there!), and have rehomed him in a very good hotel around the corner from me for the remainder of his stay.

Of course, I didnt let the guest know that it was because of his skin but told him there was a gas leak problem And that we both had to stay away for the next few days. So his feelings are intact, and he will enjoy a 4.5 star hotel!

As far as my duty goes towards my fellow hosts, I will be writing a review along the lines of 'a hotel might have been appropriate for his needs', which is code for I wont have him again in hosting world... Apparently!:-)

Am now on a sanitising and disinfecting cleaning spree!!