Guests Check In Early Without Contact - What Next?

Fenzel0
Level 1
Fruitland, MD

Guests Check In Early Without Contact - What Next?

Hello, I'm looking for hosting advice before contacting Airbnb directly for help. We own a condo in an oceanfront town about forty minutes from where our office is and have rented it out for the weekend. Check in time is anytime after 3 p.m. and check out time is before 11 a.m.; we store the keys in a lock box on site so we can be fairly hands off on check in but are within distance of the condo if we're needed. I usually send the lockbox code along with directions for parking the night before a visit so the codes are up to date and the condo can't be accessed beforehand.

Anyway, a couple was set to check in today (Friday) and stay through Sunday. Our cleaner went to touch up a few things at the condo this morning and she said the guests had already picked up keys and had checked in early. Luckily we didn't have a reservation checking out this morning or it could've been worse. What should I do - bill them for the extra time, message them and ask about the undiscussed early check in, contact Airbnb? We've used Airbnb for the past year for bookings and to my knowledge have never encountered this issue before. Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you.

2 Replies 2
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Do you normally charge an early check in fee? If so, and it's listed in your house rules or description, send the guests the fee via the resolution center. If not, since there were no problems created by the early check in, ignore it. Next time don't send the check in info until the day of check in at 2PM

I agree, do not send them the code until you are happy for them to use it.

David