Guests do not receive self check in details

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

Guests do not receive self check in details

I know this subject has been dealt with recently and I have made comments, but I can't find any of the comments I have made!  If you can help me find them I'd be happy about that.

So I just want to say This week

Guest one, using android device did not revceive the lock box details at all.

Guest two using android device did receive information and was able to check himself in without any trouble at all.

So my question is WHY Airbnb is your system not working for some guests and some hosts?

It makes life so difficult when I rely on a system and it fails.

Anyone else still having this issue?

10 Replies 10
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Gina32, is this the 'automated message' sent by ABB or is this a message you send yourself? If I were you, I would create a 'saved message' and send this to all your guests a day or two before they arrive.

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

Thank you for the suggestion, Yes i can do that, but I like to know the systems I am working with actually work the way they are meant to. Also from the guests perspective he only needs one set of instructions. The automated one. He should not be bombarded with several of the same message surely.

The system is set up for a purpose but it fails some people. WHY?

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I rely on redundancy.

I have self checin instructions in the listing (shown after they reserve)

AND i send them my canned self check-in instructions on the day of.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Gina32, I have found some guests do not have notifications turned on and therefore have no idea they're receiving messages from Airbnb. I have had to text a few guests and ask them to please check their Airbnb messages. 

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

that's true @John5 but I do try to ensure that they have received the confirmation and itinerary message from airbnb. they do ...but guess what, some say they don't read them and others say that the self check in or lockbox detail is not there.

The system is broken.

@Gina32, I just had another incident revolving around this. Texted the guest yesterday to see if he had received the Airbnb messages. He responded, saying he had, but he thought they were automatically generated. I thought that was humorous, because the first line of each message reads, "Please respond to this message acknowledging you have received and read it." 

I'm about to add: "This message is not automatically generated." 

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

AND just for the record  Third customer is about to check in and YES they don't have the self check in details either. @Lizzi2 How about airbnb start taking some notice please of how the system is not helping when it is broken.

Michelle-and-Mark2
Level 1
Santa Clarita, CA

New to hosting .. 1st guest no problem that I was aware of regarding check in info .. 2nd guest could NOT find check in info .. 3rd guest could NOT find check in info .. this situation is making me look bad .. My 1st guest gave me a 5 star review, no review from the 2nd guest and the 3rd guest just asked for check in info for their arrival tomorrow.  They are pleased that I am responding quickly to this issue, but I shouldn't be having this issue.  They said they received an email from Airbnb that the check in info was available but they could not find it.  I am working for 5 star reviews as I'm sure most of you hosting are as well.  Airbnb, please work out the problems with this issue, it's hurting the business.

Michelle-and-Mark2
Level 1
Santa Clarita, CA

I set a reminder in my calendar to reach out to guests one week before arrival just to say hi.  I will now be adding that I will send them check in instructions 24 hours before their arrival so that they don't have to worry when they receive a message from Airbnb and can not find the check in info, which is not a good feeling for the guest.  If you want things done right you have to do it yourself.  I worked very hard on my listing and got 13 bookings in the first 30 days.  I love the hospitality industry and work hard for excellent customer relations.  This issue hurts customer service.

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

Due to the occasional unreliability of the Airbnb system, @Gina32 , I take a multi-pronged approach to communicating with guests.

Like @Michelle-and-Mark2 , I contact upcoming guests about 2-3 days prior to their arrival.  I confirm their arrangements and ask for their personal e-mail address and cell phone number (some guests use a home or business number for their profile).  I also provide my same information.

When I send their check-in information, it goes to BOTH the Airbnb message system AND their personal e-mail address.   This way if there are problems with Airbnb (and there have been), most guests still have access to their personal e-mail and still receive the information.

As a final back-up, I can send a text message to the guests (or they have alternate ways to contact me).

This has proven valuable in various situations.