Guests requesting available calendar dates but then messaging about blocked/booked dates?

Claire129
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Guests requesting available calendar dates but then messaging about blocked/booked dates?

Advice please...I sometimes get requests for dates that are shown as available in my calendar, only for guests to then message me and ask for different dates that are already showing as booked in the calendar.

I usually let guests know the property is available for the alternative dates that are free in the calendar...ie the ones they 'officially' looked, not the ones in their message?! And pre-approve them to book the dates that are free.

Any advice on how to handle these types of requests best and avoid confusion?

Thanks, everyone! 

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I think you may be getting inquiries from people in process of establishing their plans and they don't realize that they can message the host directly without putting in dates.  They put in dates to do a search but really want to contact host. Perhaps you can have a stock response  that reads, "You might be unfamiliar with how Air BNB works, but the dates that show available on my calendar are the only ones that are available.  Good luck with your search!"

Thanks, Linda - great advice, I'll try that next time!

Linda,

I've been searching for an answer to how guests can request booking date(s) blocked on my calendar, and came across this tip you shared a while back.  If I understand what you wrote, AirBnb does not filter/prevent booking requests for my blocked dates?

One other question I'm researching is how can guest request a booking 9 months from now, if in my settings I don't book more that 3 months out?  Any suggestions or hints?

Thanks so much!!!! 

@Christina183  This is a very old discussion thread and some things have changed, but there is a difference between an inquiry and a request.  Are you sure you are getting requests and not inquiries?  Anyone can send an inquiry and using dates is just a way to reach the host, not really a request.  If you have a particular listing with problems, I will look at it for you if you like.