Guests unreachable after damage

Joanna55
Level 2
Aarhus, Denmark

Guests unreachable after damage

Hi all,

I recently had 3 girls staying at my apartment and they had been very communicative before and during their stay. However when I returned to my apartment I found my bathroom lamp completely smahsed. What was a lamp before is now just a bare lightbulb. The girls thew away the big glass pieces but I was able to find all the small ones inside my vacuum bag. What is very disapointing is that not once did they communicate to me that they broke the lamp during our conversation exchange even a few hours before they checked out.

I filed a request through resolution center right away and also have messaged my guest. However, they have not once replied to my message nor the request through Airbnb resolution center.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Will the Airbnb host guarantee still cover the fee even if my guests do not respond and do not acknowledge that they broke the lamp? They booked my apartmet fairly early before I managed to set up a deposit.

Thank you!

9 Replies 9
Raffaele-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Coogee, Australia

Hi @Joanna55

if the guest don't reply you have to involve Airbnb, follow the link:

https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/article/264/how-do-i-make-a-claim-on-the-security-deposit

good luck
Cheers Raf

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Joanna55 of course, broken stuff happens regularly, the more guests you receive, the more maintenance..

They cleaned up a little but were too embarassed to bring it up. That's understandable.

Some stuff break easily so the guest must have thought it's not too big deal to replace. 

If you had set up a deposit, then you would be completely in your right to obtain monies from airbnb deposit, but i also feel it's making a big deal of a small lamp.

Was it an expensive one ? If so, are you going to replace it with a cheaper one ? (That's what i'd do)

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Totally agree with @Lilian20... No deposit, so after the Resolution Center no more options to make a claim. @Joanna55, I would just pay for it myself. Good that you have the deposit in place now, although that doesn't mean all that much if something really went wrong because it's not taken from guest's credit card and released after your approval after check-out.

In the future, you can always schedule a visit half way through a stay if you are a live-out host!

Good luck!

Babs

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

The host guarantee covers only 15 countries.

Denmark isn't one of these 15 countries, you don't have any host guarantee cover.

If the guests don't respond via the guest resolution you can ask airbnb to get involved after 72 hours have passed.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Elena87 is right.

Also, depending on how you want to handle things you can always go file a complaint at the police office regardless of the amount, theorically. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Joanna1  Accidents happen.  If you believe the accident was a result of behavior that broke your house rules, and you have some proof, you would want to give a thumbs down review.  If you think it was an innocent accident, then you would give a thumbs up review but mention that the guest was unwilling to communicate about breakage sustained in the apartment.  Without a security deposit, you really do not have much recourse, I am afraid.

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

You have to file with abnb within 24 hours, so get on it.

@Amy38 The window is 48 hrs and before another guest checks in. Just to clarify 

Jeannette12
Level 2
Byron Bay, Australia

Airbnb will also request that you provide a receipt for the lamp otherwise no go 😞