Help with Checkout Instructions

Adriana503
Level 1
Denver, CO

Help with Checkout Instructions

Hello Community,

As part of our checkout instructions we ask guest to strip sheets, throw out the garbage and run the dishwasher before leaving.  This helps housekeeping know which beds were used, allows for an oderless experience for new guests and the cleaners put the clean dishes away during their visit.

I've had (2) different guests complain about this - we do charge a (minimal) cleaning fee.  We ask them to do this to keep cost low and allows for an efficient checkin for the next guest.  Am I crazy in thinking this is a common best practice for checkout? Is this asking too much of a guest? Should I let these comments slide or address it someone?

Thank you,

aM

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Adriana503

maybe it's common but  to me the most important is that my guests lock the door and leave all sets of keys where we told them.

I actually like if they leave the last bag of garbage because I always have some paper towels etc to throw while I am cleaning anyway

I like when they don't stripe the bed because I can easier spot stains if there are any.

We don't have dishwasher but 99% of our guests wash the dishes before they leave even if we don't ask them to do it. Of course we appreciate it.

Heather106
Level 4
New Orleans, LA

The only thing I ask my guests to do upon check out (besides obviously lock the door) is take out the garbage. And I only ask this because I have had previous guests leave leaking bags of garbage on the hardwood floors. I agree with @Branka-and-Silvia0 about stripping the beds myself to check for stains and I do not have a dishwasher. I find most guests do wash their dishes without asking but that has backfired as I’ve had to re-wash a lot of them because they didn’t do all that of a good job initially. 

I do do all the cleaning myself and only charge $80. For $99, I do think you are asking your guests to do a lot. You might think of increasing your cleaning fee and not asking your guests to do anything or keep the requests and lower the fee. 

@Adriana503, your requests are standard and simple and should be no problem for guests. 

I ask my guests to wash and put away their dishes, put all wet towels in the tub, check doors and windows, check that the wood stove is securely closed, turn off upstairs baseboard heaters.

I specifically ask that my gursts DO NOT start any laundry because it might mildew before the cleaning staff can get in to switch it over. My cleaners take the laundry with them. 

Do you have the checkout instructions listed on the listing as part of the rules? I’d add it there and also in your pre-approval/post IB message do guests know exactly what is expected before and at booking. Also, is the trash bin conveniently located on the premises? I wouldn’t ask that they take it to another location, but if it’s just outside, thst should be no problem.