Home Insurance Policy for Homeshares

Chad7
Level 4
Palm Springs, CA

Home Insurance Policy for Homeshares

Imagine my surprise when I heard from my longtime home insurance carrier that my policy does not cover my home since it is listed for shorter term rentals.  I found out that when I have a guest, my entire home becomes a business.  My research into solving my issue was not that easy given I homeshare (I live in my home and rent out my private guest suite).  An insurance broker I have full trust in took several days and only found one carrier that would insure under homeshare.....and it was 5 times the cost of my home polity.  And it had exclusions such as I was liable for my guests drinking alcohol as well as cannibus smoking (I live in CA....it is perfectly legal).   To limit these items on my house rules was a non-starter.  I mean, I am not a convent!

So, finally found Proper Insurance.  They DO cover homeshares.  They are carried by Lloyds of London.  They have literally no exclusions and cover all potential issues.  Their cost, while higher, was less than twice my original home policy.  I knew it would be higher and this smallish increase for full piece of mind was/is well worth it.  Combine that with what I experienced as stellar customer support setting up and explaining the policy is reason i recommend them to anyone in my situation.  

Give them a call if you homeshare.    www.proper.insure

5 Replies 5
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You lost me at the point where they double the premium - my quote from them was 300% higher and had a $5k deductible which would exclude almost anything. I think they are taking advantage of the limited options...

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah it shouldn't even be more than 30% more expensive.

I got my homeowners insurance (with Airbnb type rental rider) through Broadway Insurance Services (downtown LA broker).  As I recall my policy was only about 17% more expensive compared with not doing Airbnb rentals.

Who is underwriting it - would like to find someone who is more affordable...

Sean140
Level 5
Prosper, TX

Chad- Im glad to hear that you have found a solution for your insurance.  I have helped numerous Air BNB hosts with their insurance needs.  I have several markets available.  Please contact me if you are interested in discussing your needs or a competitive quote.

Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency Worth, IL 

Ruth425
Level 3
Mogadore, OH

Actually Proper Insurance does have exclusions. They don’t cover shared spaces. So if your guests share your kitchen, living room, bathroom - you’re out of luck. And if you rent multiple rooms to different guests at once you’re out of luck.